March 8, 1852
Kappa Chapter is chartered at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. At the time, Miami University was the second largest college in the United States, ranking behind only Yale University. DKE was the fourth fraternity at Miami University. Phi Delta Theta had been founded at Miami University in 1849. In 1851, the Chapter of Phi Delta Theta broke into two equal factions. Under the influence and advice of Jacob Cooper (Phi-Yale University), six of the former members of Phi Delta Theta petitioned for a Deke Charter and a Charter was granted. Within three months, the six Charter members of Kappa added another six to their number.
March 8, 1932
Cuthbert W. Pound (Delta Chi-Cornell University) was appointed by Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt as Chief Justice of the New York Court of Appeals. Brother Pound was a member of the New York State Senate from 1894 to 1895, before becoming a law professor at Cornell University. In June 1890, Governor Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) appointed Brother Pound to the New York State Civil Service Commission of which he was the President (1902-1904). Brother Pound was appointed as a Justice of the New York Supreme Court in May 1906 and, on August 3, 1915, designated a judge of the New York Court of Appeals. Brother Pound was a member of the Board of Trustees at Cornell from 1913 until his death in 1935.
March 8, 1999
We salute the many contributions to business and baseball made by William Wrigley III (Phi-Yale University) who died this day at age 66. From 1961 until his death, Brother Wrigley was the President of The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company which was founded by his grandfather who began by packaging chewing gum in each can of baking powder sold. The corporate headquarters is one of the more well-known landmarks in Chicago. Wrigley Field in Chicago carries the family name, as does Wrigley Field in Los Angeles which housed the original Pacific Coast League baseball team which was owned by the father of Brother Wrigley.
March 9, 2011
Victor M. Drury (Tau Alpha-McGill University) is appointed as the campaign director and senior development officer at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Canada. Brother Drury also has served as a City Councilor for the City of Westmount since October 2009. Brother Drury was the chief executive officer of the Foundation of Stars (1993-2009) and Vice President of Public Affairs for Imasco Limited (1981-1984).
March 10, 1921
Mortimer N. Buckner (Phi-Yale University) became the Chair of the New York Trust Company when the New York Trust Company and the Liberty Bank of New York were consolidated. In the aftermath of the crisis in the Stock Market in 1929, Brother Buckner was one of many Presidents of financial institutions who met secretly with President Hoover where an agreement was reached to form the National Credit Corporation. On October 13, 1931, Brother Buckner, as the Chairman of the New York Trust Company, announced the incorporation of the NCC along with the commitment of private banks to subscribe to $500 million of its debentures. Brother Buckner was then named President of the newly formed NCC.
March 10, 1979
Robert Pelletreau (Phi-Yale University) presents his credentials as the Ambassador from United States to Bahrain. Subsequently, Brother Pelletreau was the United States Ambassador to Tunisia (1987-1991) and to Egypt (1991-1993). Brother Pelletreau also served as Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs (February 1997-January 1997). During his diplomatic career, Brother Pelletreau also had assignments in Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco and Syria. After leaving government, Brother Pelletreau has practiced law and, since 2002, has been co-director, with his wife, of Search for Common Ground in the Middle East, which is based in Jerusalem. Brother Pelletreau also serves as a director of the Alliance Program, which is a non-profit trans-Atlantic joint venture between Columbia University and three French institutions.
March 11, 1907
President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) signed Proclamation No. 740 setting aside Chaco Canyon in New Mexico as a National Monument. Between A.D. 900 and 1150, Chaco Canyon was a major center of culture for the ancient Pueblo Peoples. The inhabitants quarried sandstone blocks and hauled timber from great distances and assembled fifteen major complexes that remained the largest buildings in North America until the 19th century. Many of the buildings have been aligned to capture the solar and lunar cycles.
March 11, 2008
Bruce D. Benson (Delta Chi-Cornell University) is appointed as President of the University of Colorado. Before his appointment, Brother Benson was a businessman active in a variety of educational, civic and political activities in Colorado and at the national level. In 1965, Brother Benson founded Benson Mineral Group, an oil and gas exploration and production company. Since the founding of that Company, Brother Benson expanded his business interests to include banking, mortgage servicing, real estate development and management, geothermal power, manufacturing, trucking, restaurants and cable television.Brother Benson chaired the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (1985-1989), was a member of the Metropolitan State College Board of Trustees (2003-2007), a member of the P-20 Education Coordinating Council (2007-2008) and a member of the Governors Blue Ribbon Panel for Higher Education (2001-2003). Brother Benson also served as the Chair of the Board of the Berkshire School in Massachusetts (1984-1994) and served on the Board of Smith College (1988-1995). Brother Benson was a member of the Board of Directors of the National Park Service and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate as a member of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Brother Benson was the Republican nominee for Governor of Colorado in 1994. Brother Benson was granted an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by the University of Colorado in 2004 and, in February 2009, Brother Benson was named to the Colorado Business Hall of Fame. While at Cornell, Brother Benson served as President of the Chapter.
March 12, 1881
Suti Ki Chinda is initiated into Psi Phi Chapter (DePauw University – then Indiana Asbury University). Brother Chinda later served Japan as Ambassador to Germany, the United States and Great Britain. Brother Chinda was elevated to the peerage rank of Viscount. When Senator Beveridge (Psi Phi-DePauw University) visited Brother Chinda at a state reception, Brother Chinda rushed forward and gave his Deke Brother the “grip”, much to the surprise of other dignitaries and individuals who witnessed the event. At the time, Brother Chinda was the Japanese Ambassador to the United States.
March 12, 2011
Cyrus Eaton Jr. (Mu-Colgate University) dies at age 93. Following along in the footsteps of his famous father, Brother Eaton worked for better relations with Eastern Bloc countries, including forming partnerships with governments and businesses to build projects that banks felt comfortable financing. This included the Duna Intercontinental Hotel in Budapest, Hungary, and the Great Wall Sheraton in Beijing. Brother Eaton was an Army bomber pilot during World War II and, in July 1943, his plane was shot down and he and his crew were reported dead. A Dutch fishermen rescued him from the water and he was taken prisoner by the Germans, who held him until he and another prisoner escaped in April 1945. Brother Eaton was Chair of the Board of Directors of Tower International which he formed in 1964 to further trade between the East and the West. With headquarters in Cleveland, Tower International had offices in Houston, New York, Toronto, London, Zürich and Zagreb, Yugoslavia. In 1970, Brother Eaton obtained the exclusive contract from Holiday Inn to expand the motel chain behind the Iron Curtain. Because he bore the same name, Brother Eaton was often confused with his father who was known for his opposition to the dominance of Eastern financers in America, his passion for world peace, and his outspoken criticism of the United States Cold War policy.
March 13, 1877
Richard W. Thompson (Psi Phi-DePauw University) (Honorary) is appointed as the 27th Secretary of the Navy by President Rutherford B. Hayes (Delta Chi-Cornell University) (Honorary). Brother Thompson also served in the U.S. House of Representatives 1841-1843 and again in 1847-1849. In 1880, Brother Thompson became the President of the company building the American-based section of the Panama Canal.
March 13, 1916
The Minutes of the Executive Committee of the Council reported as follows: “The Secretary reported that he had taken up the matter of preparing disks for phonographs and talking machines to be made for various popular DKE songs, and that this had met with extreme approval of the Chapters.” Previously, the QRS Company had manufactured piano rolls for the Fraternity and had made them available in the early 1900s. The DKE Waltz was made available. The 1921 Convention minutes indicate that arrangements had been made through University Records Corporation to furnish phonograph records of six of the most popular songs. The songs were not recorded until 1923, when the Executive Committee announced the sale of “phonographic disks” “in order to secure wide distribution among our members and the plan suggested by the Company in charge of sending circulars to the Alumni Associations in other ways”. One of the phonographs disks is now at the Fraternity Headquarters so all that is needed is a “phonograph” that can play the disk.
March 13, 1932
The Cowles Commission for Research in Economics was founded in Colorado Springs by Alfred Cowles (Phi-Yale University). The Commission is dedicated to the pursuit of linking economic theory to mathematics and statistics, and the creation of a specific, probabilistic framework in estimating simultaneous equations to model an economy. In 1939, the Commission moved to the University of Chicago and then, in 1955, to Yale University after the Commission received hostile opposition from the Department of Economics at the University of Chicago. At least 11 Commission associates have won Nobel prizes for research done while at the Commission. What is now known as the Cowles Foundation is located at 30 Hill House Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. In 1933, Brother Cowles helped found the Journal “Econometrica”. He also launched an equity index that became today’s S&P 500. Brother Cowles died on December 28, 1984 at age 93.
March 13, 1943
We salute the significant contributions made to banking and philanthropy of John Pierpont Morgan, Jr. (Alpha-Harvard University) who died this day at age 76. Brother Morgan was a famed banker and philanthropist. As the son of one of America’s wealthiest men, Brother Morgan inherited millions and became President of J.P. Morgan & Co. on the death of his father. Brother Morgan played a prominent part in financing World War I, making loans of $12 million to Russia and $50 million to France. After WW I, Morgan Guaranty managed the reparation payments from Germany. In 1920, Brother Morgan gave his London residence at 14 Princess Gate to the U.S. Government for the use as the Embassy. In 1924, Brother Morgan created the Pierpont Morgan Library as a memorial to his father. Today, the library is a complex of buildings which serve as a museum and scholarly research center containing the personal library of Brother Morgan, as well as an extensive collection of illuminated manuscripts, original manuscripts by authors, prints and drawings, early printed Bibles, and early printed books and pamphlets. The Pierpont Morgan Library is at 225 Madison Avenue in New York.
March 13, 1986
Walter A. McDougall (Sigma-Amherst College) is awarded the Pulitzer Prize in History for his book “The Heavens and the Earth: A Political History of the Space Age”. Brother McDougall was a Professor at Berkeley for 13 years prior to his assuming his present position as Professor of History and the Alloy-Ansin Professor of International Relations at the University of Pennsylvania. Brother McDougall is the co-chair of the Wachman Centre’s History Institute for Teachers, which aims to contribute to the more effective teaching of history and to the public discourse over the identity of the United States and its role in the world, as well as the co-Chairman of the Centre for the Study of America and the West as part of the Foreign Policy Research Institute.
March 13, 1989
President George H.W. Bush (Phi-Yale University) announced the appointment of Dr. Burton Lee III (Phi-Yale University) as the Physician to the President. Previously Dr. Lee had been with the Memorial Hospital for Allied Diseases at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, where he was the Senior Attending Physician. In 1987 and 1988, Brother Lee had served in a Commission appointed by President Reagan to advise on the AIDS epidemic.
March 13, 2003
The Fraternity announced that Dick Clark (Phi Gamma-Syracuse University) left a generous donation of $1 million to the Delta Kappa Epsilon Foundation of Central New York in his Will. The Foundation handles the educational and charitable activities of the Phi Gamma Chapter of the Fraternity at Brother Clark’s alma mater, Syracuse University, where Brother Clark attended (1947-1951). Brother Clark was always an exceptionally loyal and supportive member of the Fraternity throughout his lifetime and was proud of his affiliation with the Fraternity. We are honored by his memory and we are honored by the generous gift. The photograph shows Brother Clark during the 1992 Homecoming Weekend activities where he is photographed proudly wearing the Deke shirt that was presented to him by the Chapter.
March 14, 1903
President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) signed an Executive Order that Pelican Island in Indian River in Florida be reserved and set apart for the use of the Department of Agriculture as a preserve and breeding ground for native birds. For the first time in history, the United States Government had set aside what would become the first unit of the present United States Fish and Wildlife Services’ National Refuse system, to protect brown pelicans and other native birds nesting on the island.
March 14, 1925
We salute the athletic accomplishments and contributions to football made by Walter Camp (Phi-Yale University) who died this day at age 66. Brother Camp is regarded as the Father of American Football. He played football at Yale between 1876 and 1882, serving three years as team captain (the photo of him is as Captain in 1878). After graduation, Brother Camp went to work for New Haven Clock Company and later became President and Chairman of the Board of Directors of that company. Brother Camp became the first football coach at Yale and served in that capacity between 1880 and 1910. The record of Brother Camp as a head coach at Yale was 67-2. While coaching at Yale, Brother Camp had three national championships and one conference title. Brother Camp also coached at Stanford 1892, 1894 and 1895, developing a 12-3-3 record there. In 1906, as Chair of the American Football Rules Committee, Brother Camp helped develop new rules that changed the game from “brute strength” to one where “skill became more important”. Brother Camp is credited with innovations such as the snap-back from center, the system of downs, the point system, the now-standard offensive arrangement of players (a 7-man offensive line and a 4-man backfield consisting of a quarterback, two halfbacks and fullback) and the introduction of the “safety” which awarded 2 points to the defensive side for tackling a ball carrier in his own end zone followed by a free kick by the offence from its own 20 yard line. Brother Camp wrote 30 books and more than 250 magazine articles about football. Brother Camp was credited with developing the concept of an All American team in 1889 and picked the members of the All American team until his death. He helped establish the National Collegiate Athletic Association which governs College football and served on the Rules Committee of the Association from his College days until his death. Brother Camp was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1951. Each year, the Walter Camp Player of the Year award is given to the collegiate American football player of the year. The Walter Camp Football Foundation was founded in 1967 to oversee the selection of the All American Football Team, and honor those selections. The Walter Camp Gate is the entranceway to the Yale University athletic facilities on campus