February 23, 1854
Iota Chapter is installed at Kentucky Military Institute, Frankfort, Kentucky as the second fraternity there. In the Fall of 1853, six students banded together for the purpose of seeking a Charter. Mother Phi appointed a committee of alumni residing in Nashville to investigate the application. At about the same time the application was being made by Kentucky Military Institute students, another application was being made by students at Centre College (in 1853).The October 14, 1854 Minutes of the Phi Chapter indicate the following: “A petition from Centre College, Danville, praying for a charter, was then laid before the Society, and with two protests against the Charter, from 2 members of the K Chapter”. The petition was laid over to the next meeting and on November 4, 1854, the petition was “rejected”. The report of Brothers James Edward Rains and John Samuel Donelson was favorable and the Charter was then granted. Until 1858, the existence of the Chapter along with the other fraternities on campus was secret. At first, it had been merely a social club, but the literary program of the regular Saturday night meetings soon became a prominent feature. In the 1910 Catalogue of the Fraternity, the following is indicated: “While mere scholarship carried little weight in the selection of members, nevertheless a lion’s share of scholastic and oratorical honors fell to Iota during the first eight years of her existence. In a final greeting to the other Chapters of the Fraternity, Brother Iota of the Chapter stated in May 1861: “I am the last of thirteen a week ago, and have just been to see three of our band enlist. I am only waiting to finish our chapter correspondence to return and enlist myself. Your brother in DKE.” The Minutes of the 1863 Convention held at Union College also noted that an “overly informal application” was received from Center College, and that the Committee on Expansion recommended that: “… further information be obtained regarding the institution and its applicants”. The requested charter was not granted.“Kentucky Military Institute reopened in 1865. However, it was not until the 1880s that efforts were made to revive Iota Chapter and, at that time, Central University seemed to be the most favorable institution for the revival. The 1884 Convention authorized a Charter of the Iota Chapter to be made available to the Council to grant to the Petitioners from Central University of Kentucky if in the discretion of the Council “… it shall seem best so to do before the next Convention”.When it was learned that there were prospects for the revival of some of the old Southern Chapters, a group of Central University students banded together under the name of Iota Beta and began to pursue the possibility of reviving the Iota Chapter at Central University. In the Spring of 1885, the old Charter of Iota was granted to the group and, on June 9 of commencement week in 1885, the initiation of the fifteen “Charter” members was carried out in the presence of Robert Houston Isbell, one of the founders of the old Iota Chapter and Stoddard Johnson (Phi-Yale University) representing the parent chapter. The Governor of Kentucky James B. McCreary (Kappa Psi-Cumberland University) assisted in the initiation of his son. Francis Augustine Howe, one of the founders of the Sigma-Amherst College Chapter also attended. .On June 9, 1885, Central University merged with Centre College of Kentucky. The Chapter is now located at Centre College, Danville, Kentucky.
February 23, 1861
Tau Delta Chapter is installed at Union University, Murfreesborough, Tennessee, by Brothers from the nearby Gamma-Nashville (later Vanderbilt) University Chapter. The Chapter was short-lived with only 11 members being initiated prior to the Civil War. Eventually, the University moved to Jackson, Tennessee.
February 23, 1870
We pay homage to the government and diplomatic career of Anson Burlingame (Sigma-Amherst College) (Honorary) who died this day at age 50. Brother Burlingame served as a Member of the United States House of Representatives from Massachusetts (March 4, 1855-March 3, 1861). He was elected for his first term as a Know Nothing membe, and afterwards as a member of the Republican Party which he helped to organize in Massachusetts. In 1856, Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina viciously assaulted Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts in the Senate Chamber. Outraged by this conduct, Brother Burlingame delivered a scathing denunciation of Congressman Brooks, who in turn challenged him to a duel Brother Burlingame, who was a well-known marksman, eagerly accepting, choosing rifles as the weapons at the Navy Yards on the Canadian side of the United States/Canada border in Niagara Falls as the location in order to circumvent the ban on dueling within the United States. Congressman Brooks failed to show up for the occasion, citing unspecified risks to his safety if he was to cross into “hostile country” (the Northern States) in order to reach Canada. On March 22, 1961, President Lincoln appointed Brother Burlingame as the Minister to the Austrian Empire, but that appointment was not acceptable to the Austrian Empire. Instead, on June 14, 1961, President Lincoln appointed Brother Burlingame as a Minister to the Qing Empire. On November 16, 1867, Brother Burlingame was appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to head a Chinese diplomatic mission to the United States and the principal European nations. That mission arrived in the United States in March 1868 and Brother Burlingame used his personal relations with the Republican administration to negotiate a relatively quick and favorable treaty. On July 28, 1868, the negotiations concluded with a series of articles supplementary to the Reed Treaty of 1858 which later became known as the Burlingame Treaty. Subsequently, Brother Burlingame also negotiated treaties with Denmark, Sweden, Holland, and Prussia. Brother Burlingame died suddenly in Saint Petersburg while negotiating the terms of a treaty with Russia.
February 23, 1985
John F. Akers (Phi-Yale University) became the Chief Executive Officer of IBM. In June 1986, Brother Akers assumed the additional position of Chairman of the Board. Brother Akers retired from both positions on April 1, 1993 after 33 years of service to IBM.
February 23, 1995
Anthony J. Carbone (Phi-Yale University) was appointed as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Dow Chemicals. Brother Carbone previously served as Vice President of Dow Plastics (1987-1991), Vice President Global Plastics (1993-1995), Executive Vice President (1996-2000), Director (1995) and Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors (2000-2005)
February 23, 2001
Mu Chi Chapter is installed at Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee. The College did not and still does not recognize fraternities or sororities. In March 2001, the Student Government Association of the College voted not to grant recognition to the men seeking to start a Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon on the campus. On October 18, 2002, the Board of Directors of the College established a policy prohibiting students from joining or participating in fraternities or sororities. Despite the lack of recognition, the Chapter has grown and prospered.
February 24, 1855
Omicron Chapter is installed at the University of Michigan. The idea for the Chapter was credited to Brother J.B. Ford (Sigma-Amherst College) who was attending the University of Michigan Medical College. He raised the possibility with his roommate, Marcus A. Packard. Mr. Packard chose five of his classmates to join with him in applying for a charter to Mother Phi. Brother Packard and six juniors of the Class of 1956 were initiated by Brother Ford. The Charter members were Frederick Rowe, John Quincy Adams Sessions, Lemon Barnes, Henry C. Champion, Marcus Albertus Osyris Packard and Lyman Addison Soule. Ten days later, eight more brothers were initiated. There is this comment made in the 1910 Catalogue of the Fraternity: “There were several stages through which the Chapter passed at this time. First was the purely literary stage where DKE made an extreme point of scholarship, and became almost a literary society. Following that came a period of good fellowship, where Bacchus ruled. This caused a strong reaction and a deeply religious period followed when all meetings were opened and closed with prayer.”
February 24, 1911
Parkhurst Hall at Dartmouth College is opened. Parkhurst Hall houses the administrative offices for the College, including the Offices of the President, the Provost, the Dean of the College, and of Undergraduate Judicial Affairs. Four years after his son died, Lewis Parkhurst (Pi-Dartmouth College) joined the Board of Trustees at Dartmouth College. As a memorial to their son, Brother Parkhurst and his wife decided to fund and oversee the construction of an administration building on campus. Brother Parkhurst was a partner of the publishing company, Ginn & Company. In 1915, after being twice elected as an alumnus trustee of Dartmouth College, Brother Parkhurst was made a life trustee. As Chairman of the budget system for the College, Brother Parkhurst guided the affairs of Dartmouth, devised the College’s budget system, and administered its finances. Brother Parkhurst also served as a State Senator in Massachusetts in 1921-1922. In 1935, Governor Curley appointed Brother Parkhurst to investigate the prison system of Massachusetts with regard to prison reform. Brother Parkhurst died on March 29, 1949 at age 93.
February 24, 2014
Coached by Michael “Mike” Babcock, Jr. (Tau Alpha-McGill University), Canada’s Men’s National Ice Hockey Team won the Gold Medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Brother Babcock also coached the Men’s National Hockey Team for Canada which won the Olympic Gold Medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver. Brother Babcock guided Team Canada to Gold Medals in the 1997 World Junior Championship and the 2004 IIHF World Hockey Championship. Brother Babcock was the Head Coach at Red Deer College in Alberta (1988-1990), the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League (1991-1992), the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns (1993-1994), the Western Hockey League Spokane Chiefs (1994-2000) and the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the American Hockey League (2000-2002), before being named the Head Coach of the National Hockey League’s Anaheim Mighty Ducks (2002-2003) and the Detroit Red Wings (July 15, 2005 to present). On April 8, 2014, Brother Babcock earned his 414th career win. Brother Babcock is currently the longest tenured head coach in the NHL. Teams coached by Brother Babcock have been to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003 with the Mighty Ducks, and 2009 and 2011 with Detroit. On June 4, 2008, Brother Babcock led the Detroit Red Wings to a Stanley Cup Championship by defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins in six games. Brother Babcock was announced twice as a finalist for the Jack Adams Award which is awarded to the NHL coach who best contributes to the success of his team.
February 25, 1909
President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) issued Executive Order No. 1032, establishing 17 Federal Bird Reservations: Salt River, Arizona; East Park, California; Deer Flat and Minidoka, Idaho; Willow Creek, Montana; Carlsbad and Rio Grande, New Mexico; Cold Springs, Oregon; Belle Fourche, South Dakota; Strawberry Valley, Utah; Keechelus Lake, Kachess Lake, Clealum Lake, Bumping Lake and Conconully, Washington, and Shoshone and Pathfinder, Wyoming.
Beta Delta Chapter is installed at the University of Georgia at Athens, Georgia. Efforts to establish a chapter at the University of Georgia go back to 1869 when a Petition was received from Washington College in Athens, Georgia. In November 12, 1869 correspondence to Pi Chapter (Dartmouth College), a group of students at the University of Georgia expressed the desire to establish a Chapter at the University of Georgia stating:
We, the undersigned, desiring to establish a chapter of your fraternity in the Univ. of Ga. respectfully request the privilege of so doing, believing in all sincerity that it will ultimately rebound to the future reputation and honor of your body as well as to its interests.
We pledge ourselves as gentlemen to perform to the very best of our ability all required duties. We truthfully state that our standing is good, both Socially and in College exercises. Several will take honors on graduation, and some will be orators next commencement. There are two Secret Societies here and we have been requested to become members of both, but much prefer a chapter of yours.
Hoping this will meet your approbation, we remain Very Respectfully, D.M. Hughes, A.P. Whittle, J.A. Barclay, N.M. Solomon, Robt. Whitfield, A.J. McMullan, and H.A. Hall.
In a December 27, 1869 letter to Pi Chapter, the Eta-University of Virginia Chapter asked for the support of the possibility of the Chapter at the University of Georgia being approved: “… because it is a flourishing institution, is likely to be permanent, has a fine corps of professors, and its standard of graduation is very high.” By 1869, Sigma Alpha Epsilon (1865), Chi Phi (1867) and Kappa Alpha Order (1868) had been established at the University of Georgia. The possibility of a Charter of Delta Kappa Epsilon was turned down. Chapters of Phi Delta Theta and Phi Gamma Delta were founded in 1871 and it may well be the case that the petitioners to Delta Kappa Epsilon joined one of these two fraternities. In February 1995, an offer of a Chapter was extended to a “failed” Sigma Phi Epsilon colony at the University of Georgia. The Chapter was short lived with less than 50 brothers initiated.
February 25, 1998
We salute the contribution to Canadian literature made by W.O. Mitchell (Alpha Tau-University of Manitoba) who died this day at age 84. Brother Mitchell one of the best known Canadian author. His works include Who Has Seen the Wind (1947), which sold close to a million copies in North America, and a collection of short stories, Jake and The Kid (1961). Brother Mitchell is often referred to as the Mark Twain of Canada. In 1973, Brother Mitchell was made an officer of the Order of Canada and, on November 5, 1992, Brother Mitchell was sworn in as a member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada. Brother Mitchell was honored by the Government of Canada in 2000, when his image appeared on a postage stamp. Brother Mitchell has schools named after him in Calgary, Alberta and in Kanata, Ontario.
February 25, 2011
We salute the significant contribution to business of David T. Kearns (Beta Phi-University of Rochester) who died this day at age 81. Brother Kearns was the CEO of Xerox Corporation (1982-1990) having become its President in 1977. Brother Kearns was nominated by President George H.W. Bush (Phi-Yale University) as Deputy Secretary of the United States Department of Education and served in that capacity between May 31, 1991 and January 20, 1993. After leaving the Department of Education, Brother Kearns joined the Faculty of the Graduate School of Education at Harvard University and later served on the Boards of Directors of the Ford Foundation, Time Warner, Dayton Hudson, and Ryder System Inc. Brother Kearns was also the former Chairman of the National Urban League and of the New American Schools, an organization dedicated to excellence in American schools. Following the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, President George H.W.Bush (Phi- Yale University) appointed Brother Kearns as White House liaison to help resolve the conflict. In his honor, the University of Rochester established the David T. Kearns Center for Leadership and Diversity in Science and Engineering. Brother Kearns served as a Trustee of the University of Rochester for more than three decades. Brother Kearns published three books including “Winning the Brain Race” (1991), A Legacy of Learning (1999), and Crossing the Bridge: Family Business, Education, Cancer and the Lessons Learned (2005).
February 26, 1949
Phi Alpha Chapter is installed at The University of British Columbia. The Minutes of the 1926 Convention reflect the following discussion:
Brother Smart [Raymond Asquith Smart – Kappa Epsilon] stated that his Chapter, as well as those in California, were greatly in favor of such a step and the Alumni Association of Puget Sound was in close touch with the Alumni Association of British Columbia. He believed that if the ground were properly prepared, it would not only be an advantage to our Canadian brothers, but it would also materially assist his Chapter because Washington draws students from the British Northwest and having friends in other Fraternities which were established at B.C., the task of securing some of these men was more difficult than it otherwise would be if we had a Chapter at that institution. Brother Playfair–Harrison, of Alpha Tau spoke in favor of such a move and this sentiment was seconded by the delegates from Alpha Phi [W.B. Woods, Jr. and G. Powell Hamilton Jr.] and Tau Alpha [William Hugh Lillie and Angus McLean Gilday]. Brother Hering stated that he had been the Chairman of the Extension Committee over a long period of years before he became editor of the Quarterly, and suggested that if there was no satisfactory group at B.C., that the problem might be solved by the colonization method.
The Minutes of the 1937 Convention held December 28-20 at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, contained the following:
Under the heading of “Fraternity Extension”, the President asked if any further information could be given on the British Columbia situation. Brother Ronsen of Alpha Phi said that in order to be prepared for this Convention, he had written to an officer of the Regional Association at Vancouver asking for instructions. This officer replied that the Association believed heartily in the establishment of a Chapter at some future time, but felt that it should not be attempted at the present time. There are already eight Fraternities established; and while the enrolment was about two thousand, some of the Fraternities were having difficulty due to financial troubles. Brother Ronsen’s correspondent thought at some later date, it might be possible to colonize a Chapter. Brother Elder said that he found the colonization plan a very difficult one, and hoped that the Fraternity would not attempt it again. He was in favour, however, of the plan followed at Edmonton, where the Alumni selected a group and passed on each man individually. He also stated that in his position as Field Secretary, he had planned to return from a visit to the Chapters on the Pacific coast by way of Vancouver, and would be in a better position to give a report at the next Convention.
Prior to World War II, a number of Deke Alumni had met regularly for lunch to discuss the possibility of establishing a Chapter at the U.B.C. After the War, a petitioning body under the name of Beta Chi was formed (representing the Greek letters for the name of the Province, British Columbia). The Minutes of the Convention held in Detroit, Michigan, on December 27-29, 1948 reflect the following:
In accordance with the policy laid down in 1913, the Extension Committee directed the officers of the Fraternity to investigate the University of British Columbia, the petitioning body of Beta Chi at this University, and all other matters in connection with the petition. The last Convention voted to grant this petition priority over all other applications. Two separate visits have been made to the University by two different officers. The Kappa Epsilon Chapter has sent representatives to Vancouver on three different occasions. Since all reports on these investigations have been favourable and all requirements have been met, the Extension Committee unanimously recommended favourable action by the Council. The Council also unanimously approved the report of the Extension Committee, and now recommends the petition of the Beta Chi Society to the Convention for favourable consideration.
Brother Montague gave a history of D.K.E. in Canada, starting with his Chapter (Alpha Phi) in 1898. He told of the importance of the Province of British Columbia in the future of Canada. He explained the Alumni strength behind the petitioning group.
Brother Petersen from Kappa Epsilon at Washington, the nearest active Chapter to British Columbia, gave their Chapter’s story on the petitioning group, which was most favourable.
Brother Gordon Caine told of Alumni body backing the petitioning group. He told how the group was hand-picked by the Alumni, and that the group has a very high scholastic standing.
The question about plans for a house was brought up and answered. Brother Caine explained that plans were to take over a boarding house, pending building one of their own. There was also a discussion of the number of members who were expected to be from outside the city.
A vote was then taken by Chapters, and the petitioning body was admitted to membership as the 50th Chapter.
February 27, 1899
Alpha Phi Chapter is installed at the University of Toronto as the sixth fraternity there. The Ritual used for the initiation of the 18 Charter members was borrowed from Beta Phi (University of Rochester) Chapter. This ritual has remained common throughout the Chapters in Canada. The possibility of a Chapter at the University of Toronto had been set out in a Message of the Council to the Chapters in 1897 when the situation at McGill and the University of Toronto were described as follows:
Several other Greek letter societies have already entered that field, the place seems to be congenial. The people are practically the same as ours, and the Universities are well established and of high standing. If we ever intended to enter that field, we should do so soon.
After several years of preliminary organization, the “Caduceus Club” applied to the Council for a charter early in 1898. Representatives of the Club were allowed to speak at the November 1898 52nd Convention held in Detroit, and George Harold Black and William Ernest Douglas were admitted to the Convention to speak on behalf of the group. The Minutes of the Convention reflect the following:
Mr. Black addresses the Convention at length and set forth the petitioners’ case and calls attention to their printed petition. Claims that Toronto is a representative institution and that their club is a representative body of men. Toronto received a large endowment in land which is situate in Toronto and is of great value. Fraternities represented in Toronto are Alpha Delta Phi, Kappa Alpha, and Zeta Psi. The club is drawn from Academic Department where there are 850-950 students. Comparison of McGill and Toronto in curriculum and number in Academic Department shows that Toronto is ahead. Mr. Douglas speaks on the care taken in choosing men and/or athletics in the University.
After Mr. Black and Mr. Douglas retire, the Minutes reflect the following discussion:
Bro. Hillyer [Delta Chi] asked if the two delegates are representative men. Bro. Simpson [Rho] says they are and such is opinion of those who have seen them. Bro. Warren [Beta Phi] speaks in favour of petitioners and says he is well acquainted with the University of Toronto and it is the equal of our Universities in regard to the Academic Department. He commends their case in choosing men to advises advantageous extension. Bro. Simpson speaks favourably in regard to Toronto’s stature as a University. Bro. Safford [Epsilon] of the Council and Investigating Committee said he became very well acquainted with the petitioners and saw they were leading men of their University. Approves of the granting of a charter and says it is the most promising petition offered in 15 years. Points in its favour – leading men of a representative university, the competition would not be too hot. From a fraternity standpoint, Toronto is the best University in Canada having the largest Academic Department.
Bro. Stevenson [Phi] says every man in Phi is against extension. Bro. Marx [Delta Chi] and Platt [Phi] speak adversely saying good Fraternities have already failed there. Bro. Bastine [Nu] says even good ones might fail through mistakes. Bro. Warren [Beta Phi] speaks in favour. Thinks it would strengthen Fraternity and favours territorial expansion.
Reilly [Omicron] opposes admission of Toronto: Saying there are already weak Chapters. Bro. Marx [Delta Chi] moves that petition be tabled. [Bro.] Andrews [Tau] speaks against delay. Bro. Warren [Beta Phi] speaks against ultra conservatism. Bro. Holbrook [Lambda] moves that charter be granted. Seconded and carried by a roll call ballot, 24 to 8.
The Charter for the Chapter had been granted on November 17, 1898 by a vote that was later made unanimous.
February 27, 1909
President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) issued Executive Order No. 1038 establishing Fire Island Reservation in Cook Inlet, Alaska as a preserve and breeding ground for the world’s largest sub-species of moose.
February 27, 1919
Samuel F.B. Morse (Phi-Yale University) purchased 7,000 acres on the Monterey Coast, including the Hotel Del Monte, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach and Rancho Laureles, which is now the Village of Carmel Valley and the Monterey County Water Works for $1,350,000. Brother Morse planned to use the land to develop a community within the forest centered around Del Monte Lodge and had plans for the rest of the area as well. He banned needless land clearing and speculatiion on the forest land and set aside green belts to be reserved for the preservation of wildlife, prioritizing preservation of the forest, coastline and oceanfront. Brother Morse developed and rebuilt the land and properties of the Del Monte Forest into the Del Monte Hotel and the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Brother Morse is credited with building eight golf courses, including Spyglass Hill, Cypress Point, Pebble Beach and the Monterey Peninsula Country Club. Referred to as the “Duke of Del Monte”, Brother Morse continued to live at Del Monte and Pebble Beach until his death at age 83 on May 10, 1969. Brother Morse was acknowledged as being one of the first environmentalists to preserve the California Coast. Various monuments on the Monterey Peninsula, including an ecological preserve, plaques, streets and a gate to Pebble Beach, bear his name.
February 27, 1948
Incorporating a local society, Star and Scroll, which had been organized by four Deke transfer students. Delta Epsilon Chapter is founded at Northwestern University, The possibility of a Chapter at Northwestern University had been raised as early as 1889 when an application was received and considered by the 43rd Convention of the Fraternity. A formal application was ultimately received from a local society, Tau Kappa Phi, which had been organized for the purpose of procuring a Charter and, while the application was endorsed by the DKE Alumni Association of Chicago and, while the Council of the Fraternity had recommended that the application be granted, a vote of 18‑7 at the 47th Convention held in Minneapolis in October 1893 turned down the application. The possibility of a Chapter at Northwestern was revived in the late 1940s, and was approved at the 1947 Convention. The initiation of the 16 Charter members was undertaken by alumni brothers from Lambda (Kenyon College), Sigma Tau (M.I.T.) and Delta Delta (University of Chicago) Chapters.
February 27, 1926
The formal opening of the new Deke Club and Headquarters at 5 East 51 Street, New York, featured an afternoon reception for members of family and specially invited guests, and an evening reception or smoker for members of the Fraternity only. The Deke Club at 30 West 44 Street had been sold to the Army and Navy Club and this six-story building across the street from St. Patrick’s Cathedral was purchased. During Prohibition, it was said that the most popular spot at the Club was the barbershop as legend has it that Tony, the barber, was also the bootlegger for the Club. In fact, the Club was raided once and several members charged.The Minutes of the February 15, 1926 of the Executive Committee of the Council reflected thanks being directed to Brother James T. Lee (Nu-College of the City of New York), President of the Club and owner of the building at 28 West 44 Street to thank him for the use of the large offices in his building for the Council and Club from October 1, 1925 until the new building could be made ready. Ultimately, the property at 5 East 51 Street went into foreclosure by the Bowery Savings Bank. Arrangements were then made to move the Club to the Yale Club facilities as at May 1, 1932. The Council of the Fraternity would then occupy a sitting room and connecting office on the 14th Floor of the Yale Club at 50 Vanderbilt Avenue until the late 1970s.
February 27, 1949
Robert C. Angell (Omicron-University of Michigan) is appointed as Head, Department of Social Sciences and Director of the “Tensions Affecting International Understanding” Project at UNESCO. Brother Angell also served as a member of the U.S. National Commission for UNESCO between 1951 and 1956. Brother Angell was instrumental in founding the International Sociology Association and served as its second President. Brother Angell helped to found the Journal for Conflict Resolution (1954) and the Centre for Research on Conflict Resolution (1959). Brother Angell edited the American Sociological Review from 1946 to 1948, and was elected President of the American Sociological Association in 1951. Brother Angell was the grandson of James Burrill Angell, President of the University of Michigan (1871-1909). Brother Angell received all of his education at the University of Michigan and was in the Sociology Department at the University of Michigan between 1922 and 1969, serving as Chair of the Department from 1940 to 1952.
February 27, 2006
We salute the athletic achievements and the contributions to newspaper publishing of Otis Chandler (Sigma Rho-Stanford University) who died this day at age 79. In 1960, Brother Chandler became the Publisher of the Los Angeles Times and remained in that capacity until 1980, when he retired and became the Chair. At Stanford, Brother Chandler was a successful shot-putter, breaking the freshman school record with a toss of 48’. In his senior year, Brother Chandler placed second in the nation with a toss of 57’. As a weightlifter, Brother Chandler finished third in the nation competing in the heavyweight division. A sprained wrist kept him from competing as a shot-putter in the 1948 Summer Olympics. In 1966, Brother Chandler received the Elijah Parish Lovejoy Award as well as an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Colby College. In 1979, Brother Chandler was awarded the Theodore Roosevelt Award, which is awarded annually to a graduate of an NCAA member institution who became a distinguished citizen of national reputation based on outstanding life achievement. In 1987, Brother Chandler founded the Chandler Vintage Museum of Transportation and Wildlife in Oxnard, California. During his life, Brother Chandler was featured on the cover of sporting magazines like Road & Track, Strength and Health, and Safari Club. He was also photographed for the cover the Atlantic Monthly where he was depicted on a surfboard crafted from newspapers across a wave of dollar bills. On his death, the then-publisher of the Los Angeles Times stated: “You cannot over state the importance of Otis Chandler’s impact on the Los Angeles Times, the newspaper industry, and all of Southern California. He was bold in making changes in investments in the paper that transformed The Times into a world-class news organization.” During his 20 years as the publisher of the Los Angeles Times, the newspaper won nine Pulitzer Prizes and expanded from two to 34 foreign and domestic bureaus.
February 28, 1903
We salute the contributions made to astronomy by William Harkness (Beta Phi-University of Rochester) who died this day at age 66. After serving as a surgeon in the Union Army during the Civil War, Brother Harkness became the executive officer of the United States Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. As astronomical director of the Naval Observatory (1894-1899), Brother Harkness developed his theory of the focal curve of achromatic telescopes, and invented the spherometer caliper, and other astronomical instruments. In 1893, Brother Harkness was the President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In December 1899, Brother Harkness retired from the Navy on attaining the rank of Rear Admiral.
February 28, 2010William Cochrane Turner (Delta Epsilon-Northwestern University) died at age 81. In 1974, Brother Turner was appointed by President Nixon to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. He served as Ambassador between February 23, 1974 and May 1, 1977. His term coincided with the Arab Oil Crisis as the oil embargo and subsequent spike in energy prices had thrown the western world into crisis, exposing the huge security risk in which oil-consuming countries found themselves and creating a major recession. The U.S. Mission created the International Energy Agency whose mission was to help prepare the United States and other O.E.C.D. countries for future energy challenges. When he left O.E.C.D. in 1977, Brother Turner was engaged by IBM World Trade to join the company’s European advisory board which was made up of business and political leaders from a number of countries. Brother Turner was subsequently hired to establish advisory boards for a number of multinationals such as General Electric, AT&T, Avon and Caterpillar. Brother Turner also served on a number of corporate boards, including Goodyear, Salomon Brothers and Nabisco. Brother Turner served in a number of capacities as a committed civic leader in Phoenix, including being a Trustee and Former Chairman of the Board of the Thunderbird School of Global Management, the First National Bank of Arizona and the Rural/Metro Corporation. Brother Turner also served as the President of the Phoenix Symphony, was the co-founder of the Phoenix Chamber Music Society, and was on the Board of the Heard Museum. Brother Turner also had a passion for conservation, serving on the boards of the World Wildlife Fund and the Conservation Foundation of Washington D.C. Brother Turner also served as Co-Chairman of the Advisory Board of Youth With a Mission, an interdenominational Christian missionary movement, and on the Board of Directors of Mercy Ships, which operations hospital ships serving some of the world’s poorest people.
February 29, 1904
L.K. Comstock Company is founded by Louis K. Comstock (Omicron-University of Michigan). The Company quickly became the premier provider of electrical construction services in the United States, including major innovative projects such as the Empire State Building, the Chase Manhattan Bank Building, the Oakridge Atomic Projects, and the New York City Transit Authority. In 1917, Canadian Comstock was formally chartered in Québec to operate as a division of the parent company. In December 1925, Brother Comstock was elected as Chairman, a position he held until October 1941. In 1926, Brother Comstock received the electrical industry’s McGraw Award for his pioneering cooperative relations between management and labour. In 1949, the Company cooperated to standardize electric equipment for 750,000 customers in Southwest Ontario which was regarded at the time as the largest electrical engineering program of its kind in the world. Brother Comstock died on January 3, 1964 at age 98.
February 29, 1948
Drs. Leslie N. Gay (Rho-Lafayette College) and Paul Carliner announce the production of Dramamine as a useful cure for motion sickness and for the treatment of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Brother Gay founded the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine’s Allergy Clinic, and was its Director for 36 years.