This Week in DKE History January 5th - January 11th

January 5, 1887

The 40th Fraternity Convention was held in Washington, D.C.  The Convention approved the revival of the Chapter at the University of North Carolina.  The application had been presented at the Convention by Major Henry R. Shorter (Beta-1853), the Honorable A.B. Irion (Beta-1855), and Dr. F.P. Venable (Eta- The University of Virginia 1874).  The Charter was granted and, on March 19, 1886, the Chapter was organized and given the name Beta Alpha.  The designation “Beta” had been given to the Chapter at Columbia University after the Chapter at the University North Carolina became inactive in 1861.  Ultimately, the Chapter at Columbia University surrendered the designation of Beta and took on the designation of Gamma Beta.

January 5, 1897

We salute the contribution to government and education made by Francis A. Walker (Sigma-Amherst College) who died this day at age 57.  Brother Walker was the Chief of the Bureau of Statistics (1869-1870), and Superintendent of the 1870 Census.  Between 1881 and 1897, Brother Walker was the President of Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  In 1916, the Walker Memorial Building at 142 Memorial Drive at M.I.T. was dedicated to Brother Walker.  The Walker Memorial Building contains many of the administrative offices for student organizations.

January 5, 1921

Everett J. Lake (Alpha-Harvard University) takes office as the 67th Governor of Connecticut.  Brother Lake served in that capacity until January 1923.  At Harvard, he made the all-American football team.  Brother Lake was a representative from Hartford in the Connecticut House of Representatives (1903-1905), served as a member of the Connecticut State Senate (1905-1907) and as Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut (1907-1909).  As Governor of Connecticut, he introduced a bill that was enacted that prohibited child laborers from working more than eight hours a day!

January 5, 1965

William Henry Draper III (Phi-Yale University) creates Sutter Hill Ventures which continues to be one of the top venture capital firms in the United States.  During his 20 years as senior partner of that firm, Brother Draper helped to organize and finance several hundred high technology manufacturing companies.  Between 1981 and 1986, Brother Draper served as President and Chairman of the Export-Import Bank of the United States as the appointee of President Reagan.  In 1986, Brother Draper became the head of the world’s largest source of multilateral development grant assistance, the United Nations Development Program.  As the second highest ranking individual in the United Nations, Brother Draper oversaw nearly 10,000 international aid projects.  In that capacity, Brother Draper travelled to 101 developing countries and met over 50 heads of state.  In 1994, Brother Draper founded Draper International, the first United States venture capital fund to focus on investing in private companies with operations in India.  In 2002, Brother Draper cofounded Draper Richards LP, a venture capital fund that invests in early-stage technology companies in the United States and founded Draper Investment Company with concentrates on seed investments in Europe and Asia.  In 2002, Brother Draper cofounded the Draper Richards Foundation which provides selected social entrepreneurs with $100,000 annually for three years with the funds being specifically and solely for entrepreneurs starting new non-profit organizations.  Brother Draper serves on the Boards of the Hoover Institution, the Freeman Spogli Institute of International Studies at Stanford University, the World Affairs Council of North California, the United Nations Association of the United States of America, and the Harvard Business School California Research Center Advisory Board.  Brother Draper is also on the President’s Council on International Activities at Yale University.  Brother Draper is a former board member of the George Bush Library Foundation and the Advisory Council of the Stanford Graduate School of Business.  Brother Draper has received a number of awards and honors:  Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award (1982); Ellis Island Medal of Honor (1992); Citizen Diplomacy Award from the International Diplomacy Council (1996); the Woodrow Wilson Award for Public Service from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (2002); the Dow Jones Venture Capital Hall of Fame (2005); the Silicon Valley Fast 50 Lifetime Achievement Award (2006); and the Philanthropic Leadership Award from the American India Foundation (2009).  Brother Draper has also received honorary degrees from Southeastern University and Yale University.

jan5(4).jpg

January 6, 1919

Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University), President of the United States, dies this day at age 60 in Oyster Bay, New York.  All members of the Fraternity should be guided by the famous words of Brother Roosevelt: “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure … than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

January 6, 1945

George H.W. Bush (Phi-Yale University) and Barbara Pierce are married.  Brother Bush was on leave during his deployment as a naval officer in World War II.  In celebrating their 69th wedding anniversary on January 6, 2014, the former President and First Lady celebrated the longest marriage in Presidential history.

January 6, 1994

Jon F. Hanson (Mu-Colgate University) is appointed as Chairman of The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame. He served as Chair from 1994 to 2006  In 1986, Brother Hanson joined the Board of the Foundation.  He is now Chairman Emeritus.  Under his guidance, membership in the organization grew to 119 local chapters with over 12,000 individuals in 47 states.  Brother Hanson also serves as a director of Yankee Global Enterprises, the principal owner of the New York Yankees. Brother Hanson is the Chairman and founder of the Hampshire Companies with a real estate portfolio valued at more than $2 billion.  He is also a member of the investment committee of Hope College and of the Board of Advisors of the N.Y.U. School of Law Center for Real Estate.  In 1982, Governor Kean of New Jersey named Brother Hanson as the Chairman and Commissioner of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the State agency that oversees the 750-acre sports complex which includes the Meadowlands Race Track, Giants Stadium and the Continental Airlines Arena.  Brother Hanson served in that capacity for eight years, during which time the Authority became home to the New Jersey Devils, the New York Jets, the Meadowlands Grand Prix Auto Race, and the Kickoff Classic.  Brother Hanson was the 2011 honoree of the B. Kenneth West Lifetime Achievement award from the National Association of Corporate Directors.

January 7, 1846

The Phi Chapter authorized the Theta Chapter of Bowdoin College to “found a branch at Waterville, Maine” at was then Waterville College and is now Colby College.

January 7, 1896

Clarence E. Allen (Beta Chi-Western Reserve, later Case Western Reserve University) was elected as the first representative from Utah with full congressional privileges. During the territorial period, Utah had been represented in Congress by an elected but non-voting delegate.  Brother Allen is credited with authoring a bill passed by the territorial legislature in 1890 that provided for free public schools for students between the ages of 6 and 18.  For his efforts, he has been called the “Father of Utah’s Free Schools”.  At age 70, he retired as the General Manager of the United States Smelting, Refining & Mining Company.

January 7, 1925

R. Owen Brewster (Theta-Bowdoin College) took office as the 54th Governor of Maine replacing Percival Proctor Baxter (Theta-Bowdoin College).  Brother Brewster served as Governor until 1929.  On January 3, 1935, Brother Brewster took office as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives representing the 3rd District of Maine.  He held that office until January 3, 1941 when he was then elected as a Senator from Maine.  Brother Brewster served as a Senator from Maine until December 31, 1952. Brother Brewster died on December 25th, 1961 at age 73

January 7, 1991

A. Warren Moysey (Alpha Phi-University of Toronto) stepped down as the President of Retail Operations for the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.  Brother Moysey was also Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CI Mutual Funds Inc.  Brother Moysey is currently an Independent Review Committee Member of the Toronto Dominion Asset Management Inc. and a director of the TDAM Mutual Fund and Aetna Life Insurance Co. of Canada.

January 8, 1996

M.J. “Mike” Foster (Zeta Zeta-Louisiana State University) is elected as the 53rd Governor of Louisiana.  Brother Foster served in that capacity until January 12, 2004.  In November 1996, the United States Army Corps of Engineers requested Brother Foster to appoint a lead agency to coordinate state participation in the Atchafalaya Basin Project.  The Atchafalaya Basin Advisory Committee was created and the planning it initiated resulted in the Atchafalaya Basin Master Plan which consists of 44,000 acres managed by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.  Since serving as Governor, Brother Foster lives on the family estate near Franklin, the seat of St. Mary Parish.

January 9, 1867

In a ballot that was taken at the 1868 Convention of the Fraternity, “The granting of a chapter to Oakland University California” was passed.. Voting in favor were ten Chapters  (Brown, Waterville, Brunswick, Dartmouth, Middlebury, Hamilton, Amherst, Williams, Virginia and Michigan) with Rochester and Union voting against and Kenyon stating “Better not”. The University of California was created by Act of the State Legislature approved by the Governor on March 23, 1868. Instruction was begun in Oakland, September 23, 1869 with 40 students and a Faculty of 10.  It may well be that the Charter was granted at the request of Martin Kellogg (Phi-Yale University) who was chosen as one of the two faculty members for the College of California. Brother Kellogg was appointed Professor of Latin and Greek for the newly established University on December 1, 1868.  Brother Kellogg later served as President of the University between 1893 and 1899.  There is no other record of the Charter being forwarded or the Chapter being established and Theta Zeta was not chertered until 1876

January 9, 1867

Robert Laurenson Dashiell is elected as an Honorary member of Delta Kappa Epsilon by the Gamma Phi – Wesleyan University Chapter.  Brother Dashiell received a Divinity Degree from Wesleyan University in 1866 and, between 1868 and 1872, he was the President of Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

January 9, 1902

Franklin Delano Roosevelt received an invitation to become a member of the Institute of 1770 and therefore automatic entrance into the “Dickey Club”.  While the Alpha Chapter of the Fraternity had been withdrawn in 1890, the Dickey Club retained all of the initiation procedures of Delta Kappa Epsilon.  President Roosevelt also became a member of Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity while at Harvard.  It was this type of “dual” membership which led to the Charter of the Alpha Chapter being removed by the Fraternity in the first place. Members initiated into the Dickey Club received the type of two-inch medallions shown. These medallions were made available to members of the Dickey Club well into the 1920s.President Roosevelt was one of many famous Dickey Club members who had been initiated using the Deke initiation ritual. They included Francis Beverley Biddle (58th United States Attorney General under Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman – August 1941 – June 1945),Elliot Christopher Cowdin (founding member of the Escadrille Americaine),Richard Henry Eggleston Jr. (first Harvard Ph.D. awarded in the fine arts, Harvard Professor of Fine Arts and Director of Musuem of Fine Arts in Boston – 1935-1954), and  Theodore Roosevelt Jr. (eldest son of President Theodore Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Governor of Puerto Rico (1929-1932) Governor-General of the Philippines (1932-33), Chairman of the Board of American Express Company, Vice President of Doubleday Books, and Brigadier General in the United States Army, instrumental in forming the American Legion in 1919). Also a member of Dickey was Dwight F. Davis, the 49th United States Secretary of War under Calvin Coolidge (1925-1929) and the Governor General of the Philippines (July 8, 1929-January 9, 1932) appointed by Herbert Hoover.  As a student at Harvard, Davis won the American Intercollegiate singles championship in 1899.  In 1900, Davis developed the structure for and donated a silver bowl to the winner of a new international tennis competition designed by him and three others known as the “International Lawn Tennis Challenge” which was later renamed the Davis Cup in his honor.  

January 9, 1903

President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) signed a Congressional Bill setting aside the subterranean cave in South Dakota as Wind Cave National Park.  It was the seventh United States National Park and the first cave in the world to be designated as a national park.  The cave is recognized as the densest cave system in the world (most passage volume per cubic mile) and is the sixth longest in the world (140.47 miles of explored cave passageways, with an average of four new miles of cave being discovered each year).  The National Park is south of Mount Rushmore National Memorial which features the visage of Brother Roosevelt.

jan9(4).jpg

January 9, 1908

President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) issued Presidential Proclamation No. 793 designating Muir Woods in California as a national monument.  It is the only national monument created from land donated by an individual.  The area was donated by U.S. Congressman William Kent who purchased the land for $45,000 with the goal of protecting the redwoods in the valley named Redwood Canyon, north of San Francisco Bay.  Congressman Kent and his wife donated the property to the Federal Government in order to avoid the possibility that a creek in the valley would be dammed and the valley flooded.  The Monument now attracts over one million visitors each year.

January 10, 1870

Delta Chi Chapter was founded at Cornell University.  The 23rd Convention held at Bowdoin in October 1869 approved the creation of the Chapter.  Brothers Charles Clark and Edwin Sweet (both Phi-Yale University 1871) and William Sloan (Beta Phi-The University of Rochester 1870) were appointed by the Convention to visit Ithaca, New York, to select the men who would become the Charter members.  The following description is taken from the 1910 Catalogue of the Fraternity: 

... After a week of quiet inquiry and ‘sounding’, invited dozen to meet them and each other at the Clinton House [Tau Chapter at Hamilton College].  The group proved mutually well and favorably known, but of such varied character that it took all the tact and logic of the committee to convince its members that the basis on which it was selected was one they should accept.  But when each was told just why he and the others had been chosen, all grew enthusiastic and accepted the mission set forth by the Committee – to make a compact group of those who had most of ‘go’, and then through mutual loyalty to get the most and the best out of college life.

The Charter was “certified” on January 10, 1870 and, on February 11, 1870, the Delta Chi pin was first worn by the only senior in the class, James Julius Chambers.

January 10, 1906

President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) presented the Medal of Honor to one of his old Rough Rider comrades, Assistant Surgeon James Robb Church.  This was the first time that the Medal of Honor was presented at the White House.  In 1905, Brother Roosevelt had issued an executive order outlining the basic policy for the actual presentation of the Medal of Honor which provided that the recipient would be ordered to Washington D.C. where the President as the Commander in Chief or his designated representative, would present the Medal in an appropriate ceremony.

January 10, 1912

The Vanderbilt Hotel at Park Avenue and 34th Street in New York opened to rave reviews.  In 1913, William Astor Chanler (Alpha-Harvard University) became a co-owner and, after Alfred Vanderbilt died in 1915 in the sinking of the Lusitania, Brother Chanler became the full owner.  Prior to that investment, Brother Chanler led an adventuresome life.  As a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society of London and of the American Geographical Society of New York, Brother Chanler first visited Africa in 1889-1890, when he travelled to Zanzibar, along the coast of Kenya, and then into Maasai Territory to spend ten months near Mt. Kilimanjaro.  After returning to the United States, Brother Chanler visited Wyoming in 1890 and became friends with Butch Cassidy, who escorted him to the Hole-in-the-Wall bandit hideout.  Between 1892 and 1894, he explored Africa in the territory in the vicinity of Mt. Kenya and became the first westerner to come in contact with the Bantu Tigania and Igembe Meru in the Lake Stephanie region.  Brother Chanler collected numerous specimens of plants, animals and insects, including several new species of butterfly. Many of the African animals in the American Museum of Natural History were donated by him after being collected on this expedition.  Chanler’s Falls on the Ewaso Ng-iro River and Chanler’s Mountain Reedbuck were named in his honor.  In the course of his African explorations, Brother Chanler became fluent in the Swahili language.  Brother Chanler became a member of the New York State Assembly in 1898 and was elected to the 56th Congress as a Democrat serving as a representative in New York’s 14th Congressional District (March 4, 1899-March 3, 1901).  A fervent supporter of the Cuban struggle for independence, Brother Chanler responded to the call for volunteers by forming a New York regiment with the encouragement of Brother Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University), who was hoping to lead the regiment as Lieutenant Colonel.  Known as the Tammany Regiment, it was equipped at the expense of Brother Chanler.  Brother Chanler volunteered his services to General Maximo Gomez and was given the rank of Colonel in the indigenous Cuban Army.  On May 10, 1898, he was offered a commission as Captain and Assistant Adjutant General on the staff of Major General Joseph Wheeler which he accepted.  He served as Acting Coordinates Officer, a Calvary Division, 5th Army Corps (May 23-August 23, 1898).  In June and July 1898, he fought in the Battle of Las Guasimas, the Battle of Elcane, San Juan Hill and in the siege of Sandiego, Cuba, for which he received a commendation from Major General Wheeler for “gallantry in battle”.  In 1902, Brother Chanler was approached by a group of Dutch investors who were afraid that Venezuelan President Cipriano Castro was about to default on a massive loan.  Brother Chanler staged a “rebellion” by raising a small army of “desperadoes, soldiers of fortune, cattle rustlers, bank robbers, gamblers, Indian scouts and fugitives”, recruiting some through his acquaintance Butch Cassidy and others from Quantrill’s Raiders.  The mercenary army landed on the Venezuelan coast and marched inward to seize power, but the insurrection was called off when the President agreed to comply with the terms of his loans.  In 1904, Brother Chanler purchased the yacht Sanibel and was known to have invited Sun Yat-Sen aboard to discuss his plans for overthrowing the Qing Dynasty.  In 1910, Brother Chanler when to Libya to fight for the Senussi against Italy in the Italo-Turkish War.  In 1912, Brother Chanler travelled to British Somaliland where he served until late 1913 as military advisor to Mohammed Abdullah Hassam during the Somaliland Campaign.  Brother Chanler died in France on March 4, 1934 at age 67.

January 10, 2009

The U.S.S. George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) is commissioned as the tenth and final Nimitz-class supercarrier of the United States Navy.  The $6.3 billion vessel was built at the Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipyard and is stationed at the Naval Station at Norfolk, Virginia.  The photograph shows Brother Bush and Mrs. Barbara Bush departing the ship following its commissioning ceremony.

January 11, 1908

President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) issued Presidential Proclamation No. 794, setting aside “all the tracts of land, in the Territory of Arizona, shown as the Grand Canyon National Monument”.  Brother Roosevelt first became enamored with the grandeur of the Canyon during his visit to Arizona in 1903.  After his Presidency, Brother Roosevelt visited Arizona and the Grand Canyon on many occasions.  The Grand Canyon became a National Park in 1919.

January 11, 1967

Winthrop Rockefeller (Phi-Yale University) takes office as the 37th Governor of Arkansas, becoming the first Republican Governor of Arkansas since Reconstruction.  Brother Rockefeller served in that capacity until January 12, 1971.  Brother Rockefeller established the Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation and the Winthrop Rockefeller Charitable Trust.  The Foundations provide funding for projects across Arkansas to encourage economic development, education, and racial and social justice.