November 29, 1893
The Harvard Association of Delta Kappa Epsilon was founded. The Charter of Alpha Chapter of the Fraternity had been revoked at the November 1891 Cleveland Convention of the Fraternity so that there was no official Delta Kappa Epsilon chapter at the College. In a January 8, 1894 article in The Harvard Crimson, it was noted that the Harvard Association was founded in order to “… renew the broken bond at Harvard”. Brothers R.W. Stimson (Xi-Colby College) was appointed Secretary Pro Tem and Brother J. E. Lough (Kappa-Miami University) was appointed as the Chairman to draft and propose a constitution for the Association.
At the first meeting, H.H. Hornbrook (Psi Phi-DePauw University) was appointed President, W. Symmes (Theta Zeta-University of California at Berkeley) was appointed Vice-President, and R.W. Stimson was appointed as the Secretary and Treasurer. According to the words of the Constituion of the Association: “Any D.K.E. at Harvard University, in good and regular standing in the general fraternity, is eligible to membership in this organization, and shall become a member by signifying his intention to the president. The primary object of the Association said to promote the feeling of mutual confidence and good fellowship, and the better to carry this out each member stands ready to to assume a specific function, namely, the giving of information with regard to Harvard to any member of the fraternity, proposing to come here.” The article in The Crimson noted: “The organization is mainly social, however, and the members will meet the second Friday evening of each month.”
November 29, 1965
Stanley Woodward (Sigma-Amherst College) dies at age70. Brother Woodward was one of the most colorful and respected sports editors in the annals of New York journalism. In the early 30s, Brother Woodward, then a New York Herald Tribune sportswriter, coined the phrase “Ivy League”. Brother Woodward had a 43-year career as a sportswriter and editor. His career began in 1920 when he was hired by the Worchester Evening Gazette as reporter and then the sports editor. In 1923, Brother Woodward moved to the Boston Herald, where he stayed until 1930 when he moved to the New York Herald Tribune. There, he was a sportswriter from 1930 to 1938, a sports editor from 1938 to 1948, a war correspondent from 1944 to 1945, and again as a sports editor from 1959 to 1962. Brother Woodward was inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Hall of Fame on March 27, 1974. Brother Woodward was the author of three books: “Sports Page” (1949), “Paper Tiger” (1964) and “Sportswriter” (1967).
November 29, 2001
Brian E. Carlson (Gamma-Vanderbilt University) is appointed as the U.S. Ambassador to Latvia. Brother Carlson served in that capacity until December 6, 2004. Brother Carlson presently serves the State Department as senior liaison with the Department of Defense for Strategic Communication under the direction of the Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs. In addition to his posting to Latvia, Brother Carlson had previous postings in Spain, England, Norway, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Venezuela.
November 29, 2007
David Asper (Alpha Tau-University of Manitoba) made a gift of $7,500,000 to the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto to establish the constitutional center at the school now named the David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights. At the time, the gift was the largest contribution ever made by an individual to a law school in Canada. Brother Asper was quoted as saying: “Rights, freedoms and the rule of the law are everything if we are to achieve enduring success as a civilization. This goal does not happen with the flick of a switch. It takes deep commitment to test, study and evaluate our statement of freedom on an ongoing basis. The establishment of the Centre is a start, and I am pleased to do my part in helping make it and the redevelopment of the school become a reality.” In the mid-1980s, Brother Asper represented David Milgaard, who was wrongfully convicted of murder in 1970. After arguing the case before the Supreme Court of Canada, the conviction of David Milgaard was overturned in 1992. Brother Asper was the former Executive Vice President of the Canadian media company, CanWest Global Communications Corp. Brother Asper is presently a Professor at the Robson Hall Faculty of Law at the University of Manitoba.
November 30, 1914
Louis Jordan (Omega Chi-University of Texas) becomes the first All-American football player chosen from a southern University. Brother Jordan played for the University of Texas from 1911 to 1914, and was the first Texas Longhorns player to be selected as an All-American. He was one of the first four individuals and the first athlete to be inducted into the Longhorn Hall of Honor. In 2009, Brother Jordan was selected as the honorary captain for the all-time University of Texas football team. Brother Jordan was selected on the second team All-American by Walter Camp (Phi-Yale University). Brother Camp was notorious for overlooking players who did not play for the Ivy League schools. At the time, Damon Runyon, the famed New York sportswriter, saw Brother Jordon play and stated: “Were that man in the East playing with Harvard or Yale, he would be heralded from coast to coast as one of the greatest guards of all time.” At the time of his graduation, the head of the Engineering Department said of Brother Jordon: “He was one of the most brilliant men who ever graduated from this department.” After one year of teaching, Brother Jordan was hired as the Chief Engineer of the San Antonio Public Service Company. Shortly after the United States entered World War I, Brother Jordan left his job and received his officer’s commission as First Lieutenant. On the afternoon of March 5, 1918, Brother Jordan was shot while in front of a gun position and was killed instantly. Brother Jordan was the first Texas officer and only the third United States officer to be killed in action during World War I. Brother Jordan was posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre. In 1919, the American Legion post in Fredericksburg Texas where Brother Jordan had been born and raised renamed the Louis Jordan Post in his honor. In 1924, the residents of Fredericksburg raised a fund to erect a monument to Brother Jordan in the new Texas Memorial Stadium. The monument consisted of a 100 foot high flag pole with a bronze tablet inscribed: “In memory of First Lieut. Louis J. Jordan, University of Texas, 1911-15, who died in the service of his company in the great World War – 1914-1918. The flagpole remained in place at the southern end of the stadium until it was removed in 1972 for the installation of a new scoreboard. In November 2000 at a dedication ceremony before the Texas-Texas A&M football game, a replica of the flagpole memorial was installed in the southeast corner of the stadium. The memorial continues to be known as the Louis Jordon Flagpole.
November 30, 1917
The annual message of the Council of the Fraternity contained the advice that the report of the Special Committee on Ritual, together with the uniform Rules and Rituals for Chapter Use prepared “with painstaking care” had been sent out to the active Chapters. “Each Chapter should promptly and earnestly study this report and the Rules and Rituals approved by the Council.” What became known as the “Black Book” was what was published by the Special Committee and the Rules and Rituals set out have been in use since 1917.
December 1, 1862
Theophilus Capen Abbot (Omicron-University of Michigan) (Honorary) is elected as the President of the State Agricultural College (later Michigan State University) with Brother Abbot serving as its third President. Brother Abbot served in that capacity for 23 years. He resigned the Presidency in 1885 but remained at the College as a Professor until his retirement in 1889. Brother Abbot died on November 7, 1892. Abbot Hall on campus is named in his honor. The Hall boasted the first college-operated dining room and presently features an Honors College and “living-learning options”. The Theophilus C. Abbot Society on campus recognizes the generosity of donors who make a commitment between $250,000 and $500,000 or a documented planned gift of at least $500,000. The Society quotes the contribution of Brother Abbot as follows: “When he assumed the presidency, the future of the college was anything but certain. Abbot, however, was able to maintain the prestige of the nation’s first agricultural college by establishing a curriculum of “scientific agriculture”. Abbot Road in East Lansing, Michigan, also honors his contributions to the University.
December 1, 1921
The Minutes of the 77th Annual Convention of the Fraternity held at Chicago, Illinois, contained the following regarding the General Fraternity Endowment Fund which had concluded its first year with principal funds subscribed of about $400,000 consisting of cash and bonds of the D.K.E. Holding Corporation which owned the Deke Club at 30 West 44th Street, New York. The Minutes also reflect the following: “As a result of the establishment of this fund, the Fraternity holds title to the valuable property at 30 West 44th Street in New York City. With the growth of this fund so that the income therefrom may be used for the improvement and better maintenance of the building. D.K.E. should within a short time not only maintain the largest and finest Fraternity Headquarters and Club in the world, as we do today, but further receive from this source a substantial income for the general objects and work of the Council and Fraternity.”
December 1, 1956
James Walsh (Sigma Rho-Stanford University) was part of the United States basketball team that won the Gold Medal at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics. Brother Walsh was a 6’4” guard on the team which featured Bill Russell prior to his signing his pro contract. They won the final against the Soviet Union with a score of 89-55, Brother Walsh scoring 14 points and Bill Russell scoring only 13 points. Brother Walsh then played one season (1957-1958) with the National Basketball Association as a member of the Philadelphia Warriors.
December 1, 1984
We honor the life and accomplishments of Stephen M. Young (Beta Chi-Case Western Reserve University) who died this day at age 95. Brother Young was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1932 and served in the House until 1936. Brother Young was again elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1940 but was not reelected in 1942. Brother Young served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946. After being discharged as a Lieutenant Colonel, Brother Young was again elected to the House for a third term (1948-1950). Even though he was 70 at the time, Brother Young ran for the U.S. Senate and was elected in 1959 as a Senator from Ohio. Brother Young was re-elected in 1964 defeating Republican Robert Taft Jr. (Phi-Yale University). Brother Young did not seek re-election in 1970.
December 1, 1990
Iota Mu Chapter is founded at Fordham University. The Minutes of the 1990 Convention state that an interest group had been in existence for approximately three years and that there were two local fraternities on campus. The interest group consisted of 13 members who were “very active in campus leadership groups”. The Convention unanimously voted to give the mandate to the Board of Directors to proceed with creating a Chapter at Fordham. The Chapter was short lived with the last of approximately fifty members being initiated in 1998.
December 1, 1990
Alpha Rho Chapter is founded at Temple University. The Minutes of the 1990 Convention stated that the interest group of about 15 members had the support of the local I.F.C. and that the Faculty Advisor was a Deke from Mother Phi. The Convention unanimously voted to give the mandate to the Board of Directors to proceed with creating a chapter at Temple University. The Chapter was short lived with the last of about twenty-five members being initiated in 1993.
December 1, 1999
AlliedSignal, Inc. merged with Honeywell International Inc. At the time, the CEO was Lawrence A. “Larry” Bossidy (Mu-Colgate University). Brother Bossidy joined General Electric and was the Chief Operating Officer of General Electric Credit Corporation (1979-1981), the Executive Vice President and President of Services and Materials Sector (1981-1984), and Vice Chairman and Executive Officer of General Electric Company (1984-1991). Brother Bossidy became Chairman of Honeywell Corporation when Honeywell was acquired by AlliedSignal. In 2002, Brother Bossidy coauthored two books: “The Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done” and “Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right”. When Brother Bossidy was a senior in high school, a scout offered him a $40,000 contract to pitch for the Detroit Tigers. However, when the scout came to present the check, Brother Bossidy’s mother would not let him in the house insisting that Brother Bossidy finish his studies at Colgate. Brother Bossidy was later conferred a doctorate of Humane Letters from Colgate University.
December 1, 2002
Richard McCormick (Phi Chi-Rutgers University) became the 19th President of Rutgers University. Brother McCormick was at Rutgers in the History Faculty (1976-1992) and later as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Brother McCormick served as the Vice Chancellor and Provost at the University of North Carolina (1992-1995) and as the President of the University of Washington from 1995 to 2002. On May 29, 2011, Brother McCormick advised that he would be stepping down as President of Rutgers effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year.
December 2, 1917
We salute the business and publishing career of Charles Hallock (Phi-Yale University) who died this day at age 83. With his brother, Gerard Hallock, Brother Hallock was the founder and proprietor of Forest and Stream Magazine which is now Field & Stream magazine. Brother Hallock originated the Code of Uniform Game Laws and cofounded the first great American game preserve at Blooming Grove, Pike County, Pennsylvania. The town of Hallock, Minnesota, is named after him. The town of Hallock was featured in the 1996 film Fargo substituting as “Brainerd, Minnesota”. His autobiography is “An Angler’s Reminiscences: A record of sport, travel and adsventure”. The 1913 publication can now be read online.
December 2, 2012
In an historic initiation ceremony, the founding pledge classes of the Fraternity colonies at Hampden-Sydney College and The University of North Carolina – Wilmington were initiated into the mysteries of Delta Kappa Epsilon. The initiation was conducted by Doug Lanpher (Gamma-Vanderbilt University), Tom Hudson (Delta Chi-Cornell University), Shea Agnew (Iota-Centre College), as well as brothers from Syracuse University, Duke University, and North Carolina State. This “joint” initiation culminated with ceremonies on a beach in North Carolina.
December 3, 1915
Plans were drawn by Oswald C. Hering (Sigma Tau-MIT) for a new Clubhouse building for the General Headquarters and the Fraternity Club. A budget of $250,000 for the purchase of property and the erection of a building was undertaken and was to be financed by a mortgage of $100,000 with $150,000 being raised by the issuance of fifteen hundred 30‑year 4% Second Mortgage Income Bonds of a par value of $100 each. The proposed Club was to have 50 or 60 bedrooms “resembling the moderate-priced apartment hotel”, with the front part of the roof “… designed to be used in the summer as an open-air restaurant and café, back of which is a small ancillary kitchen and a squash court with showers, lockers and dressing room facilities.
December 3, 1945
We salute the “Father of Traffic Safety”, William Phelps Eno (Phi-Yale University) who died this day at age 87. Although known as the “Father of Traffic Safety”, Brother Eno never learned to drive an automobile himself. Though automobiles were rare until Brother Eno was an older man, horse-drawn carriages were already causing significant traffic problems in urban areas. In 1900, Brother Eno wrote a piece on traffic safety entitled “Reform in Our Street Traffic Urgently Needed”. In 1903, Brother Eno wrote a city traffic code for the City of New York. This was the first such code in the World. Brother Eno designed traffic plans for New York, London and Paris. Among the innovations credited to Brother Eno are the stop sign, the pedestrian crosswalk, the traffic circle, the one-way street, the taxi stand, and pedestrian safety islands. In 1921, Brother Eno founded the Eno Foundation for Highway Traffic Control which is today known as the Eno Center for Transportation. The Foundation is a non-profit organization with the mission of improving transportation policy and leadership. Brother Eno was the first honorary member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
December 3, 2000
Delta Psi Chapter is installed at Indiana University after an absence of 154 years. The original Charter was granted to Indiana University and given the Rho designation but the Charter was surrendered in 1855 according to the Minutes maintained by Mother Phi. Originally, the Chapter at Lafayette College was designated the Omega Chapter but change the designation when the Rho designation became available. The Convention program for January, 1855 indicates that the Chapter was still alive at that time. Applications to revive the Chapter were received and rejected in 1862, 1904, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909 (the Emanon Club), 1910 (when an application by The Emanon Club was defeated on a 21-21 vote), 1912, 1913 and 1921. In the April 21 and October 5, 1967 Minutes of the Executive Committee of the Council, the atmosphere towards fraternities at the University of Indiana was viewed as being “most favorable” and the possibility of establishing a chapter there was encouraged. The Minutes of the October 7, 1985 Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Council reported that Brother Duncan Andrews (Rho-Lafayette College) reported on his visit to the petitioning group at Indiana University and “heartedly endorsed” the group. The group was “unanimously accorded colony status in the Fraternity; if all goes as planned, they will be initiated as a Chapter in the Spring of 1986.” That initiation did not occur and it was 12 years later that the possibility of a Chapter at Indiana University was revived. The report of Executor Director to the March 5, 1998 Board of Directors Meeting included the following: “We have an interest group of 10 men under the leadership of a young man from New Orleans. The school is relatively cooperative and has set since the expansion policy. Waiting for follow through from the interest group.”
December 4, 1888
The Report of the Council to the Convention advised that the Council had communicated with each of the Chapters inviting suggestions and designs for a Fraternity ensign. It was announced that the Council has adopted as the official ensign of the Fraternity a flag “bearing a lion rampant sable on a field stripe longitudinally jules, azure and or.
December 4, 1999
Kent County International Airport of Grand Rapids Michigan, became the Gerald R. Ford International Airport to honor Gerald R. Ford (Omicron-University of Michigan). In July 2003, a bronze bust of Brother Ford was unveiled in the Airport. By 2010, in excess of 2,185,000 passengers passed through the airport.
December 4, 1919
The 75th Anniversary of the Fraternity and “Victory Convention” is highlighted by a banquet at the Biltmore Hotel. A “smoker” was held in the large dining room on the 10th floor of the Hotel. The opening address was delivered by Ogden D. Budd (Nu-CCNY) and, after the “Star Spangled Banner” and “God Save the King” were rendered. The program included “moving pictures”, “impersonations”, “singing and an excellent slight-of-hand performer. The 300 brothers present enjoyed a great evening. About midnight, the Mystic Circle was formed. Later, an informal but “very lively party” was held in the Grill of the hotel.
The next night featured a Theatre and Rarebit Party, attended by some 500 Dekes with their “wives, sweet-hearts and better selves”. The evening started with attendance at the Princess Theatre, 39th Street, in New York, where Dekes and their guests attended the 100th performance of “Nightie Night”, a play starting Francis Byrne and written by Martha M. Stanley and Adelaide Matthews. The theatre was “artistically decorated with Deke flags and emblems from curtain to gallery, presented rather the appearance of a club than the resort of the Tired Business Man. ...” Deke songs, Deke colors, and above all the Deke spirit – fine, vital and inspiring – were there and so were some five hundred Dekes with their wives, “sweethearts and better selves”. As part of the play, a “demure little ingénue” asked: “What’s that pin you have on your lapel?” “Oh, that’s a DKE pin.” She was then asked “And what do the letters DKE stand for?” and the response was “Drinking, Kisses and Everything”.
At the club afterwards, Mary Mellish of the Metropolitan Opera sang for the guests. The Convention Committee was composed of John Vernou Bouvier Jr. (Gamma Beta-Columbia University) (the uncle of Jacqueline Kennedy), Charles Hann Jr.(Gamma Beta - Columbia University), Oswald C. Hering (Sigma Tau-MIT), and William Clifford Moore (Phi - Yale University).
December 5, 1924
Membership certificates were introduced for the first time and over 13,000 were mailed out to alumni who had subscribed to receive them. The form of the certificate contained the engraved signatures of the President and Secretary and a separate translation of the Greek into English. In 2012, the Membership Certificates were revised in order to provide for a number of corrections to the Greek used and in order to modernize the appearances of the certificates.
December 5, 1936
Ogden Reid (Phi-Yale University) the publisher of The New York Herald Tribune was the principal speaker at a dinner of the Fraternity held at the Yale Club to honor the memory of James Alexander Hawes (Phi-Yale University) who served the Fraternity between 1910 and 1936 as the first Secretary of the Fraternity. In addition to honoring Brother Hawes, the dinner served to reestablish the tradition of an annual dinner for the Fraternity.
December 5, 1994
Tony Knowles (Phi-Yale University) was elected as the 7th Governor of Alaska. Brother Knowles served in that capacity until December 2, 2002, when he was barred from seeking a third consecutive term as Governor. Previously. Brother Knowles had served three terms in the Anchorage Assembly and two terms as the Mayor of Anchorage (1981-1987). During his term as Governor, Brother Knowles established Denali Kid Care which provided basic health care for 25,000 children and 5,000 pregnant women. Brother Knowles also forged the Millennium Agreement, a government-to-government agreement with the aboriginal people of Alaska to foster rural delivery of services and economic development. In 2001, Brother Knowles earned recognition from the National Congress of American Indians and, in 2002, from the Alaska Federation of Natives, with the awarding of the Denali Award, the highest award given to a non-native. In 2004, Brother Knowles was narrowly defeated in his race to be elected to the U.S. Senate. On May 29, 2006, Brother Knowles announced his bid to return to the Governor’s Office. In the November 7, 2006 election, Brother Knowles lost to Republican, Sarah Palin. In September 2008, Brother Knowles became President of the National Energy Policy Institute, a non-profit energy policy organization, located at the University of Tulsa. On April 28, 2010, Brother Knowles was appointed to the National Park System Advisory Board.