November 1, 1844
A charter was issued by Mother Phi to Bowdoin College but the Charter members were not initiated until November 6, 1844. At the first meeting of the Chapter, it was decided that the word “Yale” under the scroll on the pin would be changed and the letters “BOWD” would be substituted. That abbreviation appeared on the pins until 1851 when the full word “Bowdoin” was substituted.
November 1, 1846
A Charter for the Sigma Chapter at Amherst College was approved by Mother Phi. Sigma Chapter became the third fraternity at Amherst and the fifth Chapter of the Fraternity. Phi voted in favor of the Charter on October 30, 1846. Louis Ledoux who was one the applicants went to New Haven on November 14 and was initiated and then went back to Amherst authorized to initiate the other 6 applicants into the Fraternity. The Charter given to the new Chapter was dated November 1, 1846. The first Chapter meeting was held in Room 10, South College, on the evening of November 23, 1846.
November 1, 1856
Beta Phi Chapter is chartered at the University of Rochester as the fourth fraternity there. The 1851 records of the Theta-Bowdoin College Chapter record a letter from Brother William Peters Everett (Xi-Waterville College ’53) inquiring as to the feasibility of establishing a chapter at the University of Rochester which had been established in 1850. However, the decision was deferred until 1856. After the Charter members were initiated, they did not reveal the fact until later. In the 1910 Catalogue of the Fraternity, the following was noted: “It was thought best for various reasons, however, to keep the event secret until a suitable location for the dénouement should arise. November 14 was finally selected and, on that night, when Chapel was crowded to hear a debate between two rival societies, the members of the new Chapter entered in a body. The significance of the new event soon spread among the audience, completely overshadowing interest in the debate.”
November 1, 1973
William M. Henderson (Zeta Zeta-Louisiana State University) retired as Executive Secretary of the Fraternity, having served the Fraternity in 1941 and 1946-1955 as Assistant Secretary and as Secretary of the Council of the Fraternity between 1955 and when he retired. Brother Henderson was also the long-time editor of the Deke Quarterly. In his honor, the William M. Henderson Award is awarded annually to the alumnus who has contributed the most to his Chapter and to the Fraternity.
November 2, 1959
William B. Blount (Beta-University of North Carolina) is appointed the President of Liggett and Myers Tobacco Co., Inc.
November 2, 2011
Andrew Molson (Zeta-Princeton University) is appointed Chairman of the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal. Brother Molson is the Vice Chairman of RES PUBLICA Consulting Group and Chairman of Molson Coors. Molson Breweries was founded in Montreal in 1786 and Brother Molson represents the seventh generation of the Molson family to be involved in the brewery business. In 1957, the family acquired the Montreal Forum and the famed Canadiens Hockey Club. In 1989, the company became the largest brewery in Canada and the fifth largest brewery in the world. In 2005, Molson merged with U.S.-based Coors to form Molson Coors Brewing Company. Brother Molson was appointed Chairman of the Board of Molson Coors Brewing Company on May 26, 2011. Brother Molson is also a Director of DundeeWealth, Inc., a Canadian owned, independent wealth management company. Fully bilingual, Brother Moslon serves on the Boards of several organizations, including McCord Museum, Concordia University, the Institute for Governance of Private and Public Organizations, the Ste-Justine Hospital Foundation, and The Molson Foundation, a family foundation dedicated to the betterment of Canadian society. In 2003, Brother Molson was elected as a Fellow and Professional Administrator of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
November 3, 1855
The Minutes of the Phi Chapter indicate that a letter received from Miami University “... gave rise to quite an animated discussion in regard to withdrawing the charter of the Kappa charter. After quite a debate, it was decided not to revoke the charter.” The debate came as a result of the split in the Chapter which had resulted in 6 members leaving to establish what eventually became Sigma Chi Fraternity.
November 3, 1894
A Petition was forwarded by the Beta Kappa Society at Union College, Schenectady, New York, to the Mother Phi requesting the revival of the Theta Chi Chapter at the College. The Petition was rejected. The Theta Chi Chapter was chartered at Union College on November 25, 1856, but became inactive after 1869. A Resolution of the 1868 Convention read: “Resolved that Theta Chi Chapter of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity be requested to return their charter & records to the Phi Chapter.” At the 48th Convention held in New York City, the recommendation made by the Council that the application of students at Union College for a revival of the Chapter not be granted was upheld with brothers from Phi and Delta Chi Chapters speaking in favour of the position taken by the Council. It was not until 2005 that the Chapter was revived at Union College.
November 4, 1986
Cass Ballenger (Beta-North Carolina and Sigma-Amherst) was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from North Carolina’s 10th District. Brother Ballenger served in that capacity to January 3, 2005. In 1990, he and his wife established the Ballenger Foundation to raise funds for schools and hospitals in Central and South America.
November 4, 2009
We honor the memory and the corporate leadership of Judson St. John (Lambda-Kenyon College) who died this day at age 83. Brother St. John was the President of Ayerst Laboratories, later Wyeth-Ayerst (1983-1989). Brother St. John previously served as Vice-President of Operations (1971-1976), Executive Vice-President (1977-1982), and President (1983-1986). On the merger of the two companies, annual sales amounted to roughly $2.5 billion.
November 5, 1867
The motto of the Fraternity was described in the Minutes of the records of the Gamma Phi (Wesleyan University) Chapter as being “Friends at Heart Forever”. That open motto of the Fraternity was used well into the early 1900s. The 1909 Convention Menu also had that form of the motto. In a 1908 program dealing with the Sigma Tau Chapter initiation, the Motto was described as “Brothers Ever Friends at Heart”.The public motto “Friends from the Heart Forever” was adopted in the 1920’s.
November 5, 1976
Intel Corporation releases its first microcontroller, using NMOS technology. Henry Blume (Sigma Tau-Massachusetts Institute of Technology) led the team developing the 8748 and 8048 microcontrollers. Though the MCS-48 series was eventually replaced by the Intel MCS-51 series, the original series has remained popular due to its low cost, wide availability, memory efficient one-byte instruction set, and mature development tools. Because of this, the series is used in high-volume consumer electronic devices such as TV sets, TV remotes, toys and gadgets where cost-cutting is essential. Brother Blume graduated from Yale University in 1953 with a degree in economics, attended Officer Candidate School, served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant commander, and remained active in the Naval Reserves until 1991. Brother Blue earned a Masters degree in mechanical engineering from MIT in 1959. Brother Blume worked at Fairchild Semiconductor. In 1970, Brother Blume earned a Masters degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University.
November 5, 1986
Lauren S. “Larry” Williams (Phi-Yale University) was elected President and Chief Operating Officer of The NutraSweet Company, as well as NutraSweet Consumer Products Inc., the manufacturer of the low calorie tabletop sweeteners NutraSweet and Equal. Previously, Brother Williams had served as the Executive Vice President of the Miller Brewing Co.
November 6, 1844
The charter members of Theta Chapter at Bowdoin College were initiated and Bowdoin became the second Chapter of the Fraternity. At that time, the initiation fee was fixed at $1.50. It was not until ten months later that the designation “Theta” was adopted by the Chapter. The founding Brothers of Mother Phi decided that they intended to keep the existence of the chapter a secret until the beginning of the Spring Term when they proposed to appear in public for the first time wearing their pins. Through the use of an incorrect address, that plan was thwarted. The pins for the Chapter were to be ordered through Brown & Kirby at New Haven. One of the brothers from Phi gave the Bowdoin Brothers the wrong address and, instead of being sent to the jewelers, the letter went to Dury & Peck, who were booksellers in New Haven. The letter was then forwarded to Founding Father Sherwood, who happened to be out when the letter arrived. Forgoing ethical principles which were imposed upon him as a student at Yale, the Psi Upsilon roommate of Brother Sherwood opened the letter and read it. Without telling Brother Sherwood that he had read the letter, the Psi Upsilon brother informed his brethren of the startling discovery that DKE had grown beyond Yale in less than six months. The roommate also took it upon himself to get a letter off to the Psi Upsilon Chapter at Bowdoin. This communication was the first intimation to others at Bowdoin that there was a Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon in existence there. Up until 1862, each chapter dealt directly with Brown & Kirby to order their pins. As a result, the pins lacked uniformity. At the 1862 Convention of the Chapters, it was decided that all pins would be ordered through Mother Phi so that the new dies for the pins would be of the same size and style as possible. In a February 22, 1862 letter to the chapters, it was outlined that the Secretary of Mother Phi had made arrangements with a different party to make the pins without reference to the arrangement that had been in place for six years. By 1862, the cost of a pin was $3.50, which would be the equivalent of approximately $80 presently.
November 6, 1971
The Omicron Literary Association, the owner of the Shant, at 511-1/2East Williams St. in Ann Arbor at the Annual General Meeting of the Association, consented to the designation of the Shant as part of the historic district in Ann Arbor. Pursuant to the historical preservation ordinance of the City, the building is subject to the “Review” of the Historic District Commission: “Before construction, alteration, repair, moving or demolition affecting the exterior appearance of an historic structure is made within such a district and which requires the taking out of a permit within such a district, the person, individual, firm or corporation proposing to make such construction or changes shall file an application for a permit with the Department of Building and Safety Engineering. “
November 6, 1887
The Objects of the Fraternity were set out in Article III of the Constitution as follows:
The objects of this organization are the cultivation of general literature, the advancement and encouragement of intellectual excellence, the promotion of honorable friendships, and the union of stout hearts and kindred interests to secure to merit its due reward.
The Objects were subsequently amended to read:
The cultivation of General Literature and Social Culture, the Advancement and Encouragement of Intellectual Excellence, the Promotion of Honorable Friendship and Useful Citizenship, the Development of Spirit of Tolerance and Respect for the Rights and Views of Others, the Maintenance of Gentlemanly Dignity, Self-Respect and Morality in All Circumstances, and the Union of Stout Hearts and Kindred Interests to Secure to Merit its Due Reward.
November 6, 1987
Zeta Chapter at Princeton was revived after having been dormant since 1857. There were 22 members in the revival class.
November 6, 2012
Ron DeSantis (Phi-Yale University) is elected as a Republican to the United States House of Representatives with 58% of the vote in the Sixth Congressional District from Florida. While at Yale, Brother DeSantis captained the varsity baseball team and later graduated from Harvard Law School with honors. After graduating from law school, Brother DeSantis served in the U.S. Navy, first as a JAG prosecutor and then in supporting operations at Guantanamo Bay. Brother DeSantis deployed to Iraq where he served as an advisor for a Navy SEAL Commander. Upon his return, Brother DeSantis received the bronze star medal for his meritorious service in Iraq.
November 7, 1887
Under the 1887 Constitution of the Fraternity, Article IV (Section 5) provided that officers would be designated “in all papers and printed matter of the Fraternity” as follows: Pater Primus–Brother Beta; Pater Sucundus–Brother Sigma; Scriba–Brother Pi; Scriptor–Brother Iota; Custos–Brother Kappa; Registrar–Brother Alpha; and Director of Initiations–Brother Pi. Previously, there had been a number of variations in relation to the Greek letters given to the various officers of a Chapter. The change to the Constitution in 1887 standardized the approach to naming Chapter officers.
November 7, 1997
The George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum was opened to the public on this day as part of the George Bush Presidential Library Centre at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas. The Presidential Library of George H.W. Bush (Phi-Yale University), the 41st President of the United States, is situated on a plaza adjoining the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center and the George Bush School of Government and Public Service. The archives contain more than 44,000,000 pages of personal papers and official documents, as well as personal records from associates connected with President Bush in his career as a Congressman, Ambassador to the United Nations, Chief of the U.S. Liaison Office in China, Chairman of the Republican National Committee, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. A statue of horses leaping over pieces from the Berlin Wall stands on the plaza of the Library (the statue depicts the fall of the wall in 1989 when Brother Bush was President).The Library also contains the Vice Presidential papers of Dan Quayle (Phi Psi-DePauw University).
November 7, 2012
The Board of Directors of the Fraternity established Delta Alpha Chapter of the Fraternity at Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama. The founding fathers had been initiated on March 25, 2012 and the Colony had leased and renovated a house for the Chapter at 110 Thomas Street in Auburn.
November 7, 2012
A Colony of the Fraternity at McGill University was approved by the Board of Directors of the Fraternity. When the Colony is granted Chapter status, it will be a revival of the Tau Alpha Chapter of the Fraternity which was chartered as the fifth fraternity at McGill on November 15, 1900.
November 7, 2012
A Colony of the Fraternity at the University of Delaware was approved by the Board of Directors of the Fraternity.