October 25, 1936
W.A.R. Kerr (Alpha Phi-University of Toronto) is appointed as the third President of the University of Alberta. Brother Kerr was previously the first Dean of Arts and Science at the University (1914-1916) and the acting President (1917-1919). Brother Kerr retired as President in 1941 and died on January 19, 1945.Brother Kerr was an active supporter of bilingualism and was President of the French-Canadian Committee of Edmonton. From 1924 to 1928, he was vice-chairman of the Carnegie Canadian Committee on Modern Languages. Kerr was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and president of the Society in 1936. In 1935, he was named a Chevalier of the Légion D'Honneur of France.
October 25, 1957
We honor the accomplishments of Kenneth Douglas McKellar (Psi-University of Alabama) who died this day at age 88. Brother McKellar served as a United States Representative from Tennessee from 1911 until 1917 and as a United States Senator from 1917 until 1953. As a Democrat, Brother McKellar served longer in both houses of Congress than anyone else in Tennessee history and only a few others have served longer in both houses. As Head of the Appropriations Committee, Brother McKellar successfully forced the Tennessee Valley Authority to properly reimburse landowners whose property was taken over by the TVA for purposes such as dam building. Brother McKellar had full knowledge of the appropriations needs of the Manhattan Project to build an atomic bomb and he was often called upon to “keep the secret” of the Manhattan Project by mingling funds for the bomb project with other projects. Brother McKellar twice served as President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate, being the first to hold the position under the system that has since prevailed of reserving that position for the most senior member of the majority party. When President Roosevelt died and Harry Truman became President, President Truman did not appoint a Vice President. Brother McKellar became the post-facto Vice President. Brother McKellar wrote a book about his predecessors in the Senate from Tennessee: “Tennessee Senators as Seen by One of Their Successors” (1942). Lake McKellar, bordering the Memphis President’s Island Industrial Area along the Mississippi River and McKellar Airport in Jackson, Tennessee are both named in his honor.
October 25, 1986
The U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is commissioned as the third Nimitiz-class supercarrier. The radio call signal for the vessel is Rough Rider, which was the name of the volunteer cavalry unit of Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) during the Spanish-American War. The vessel was the third United States Navy vessel to have been named in honor of Brother Roosevelt.
October 25, 1999
We honor the significant contribution to business and transportation made by Gerald Trautman (Sigma Rho-Stanford University) who died this day at age 87. Brother Trautman was the CEO of Greyhound Corporation, having served previously as Corporate Counsel and Vice President. Brother Trautman became Chairman, President and CEO in 1996 and moved the Greyhound headquarters to Phoenix in 1971. In his sixteen years at the helm of Greyhound, Brother Trautman transformed the company from a struggling bus line to an industry leader with annual revenues of $5 billion. While at Stanford, Brother Trautman was student body President. It was through his efforts that the battle over the “Stanford Axe” was settled. Brother Trautman called his counterpart to Berkeley and an agreement was reached that the Axe would be given as a trophy to the winner of the “Big Game” each year. Brother Trautman is said to have viewed the resolution of the Axe “crisis” as one of his proudest moments.
October 26, 1924
Henry B. Longden (Psi Phi-DePauw University) was appointed as acting President of DePauw University. He served in that capacity until 1925. Brother Longden had previously served as Registrar and Librarian for the University. Longden Hall, a first-year residence building on campus, is named in his honor.
October 26, 2011
Jed D. Hoyer (Gamma Phi-Wesleyan University) is appointed as the Executive Vice-President General Manager of the Chicago Cubs. Previously, Brother Hoyer was the Assistant General Manager of the Boston Red Sox, the Co-General Manager of the Red Sox (December 12, 2005-January 19, 2006) and the General Manager of the San Diego Padres (October 2009-October 26, 2011). While at Wesleyan, Brother Hoyer was a star pitcher who still holds the career saves record at Wesleyan. After graduation, Brother Hoyer worked in the admissions office and then the alumni/development office at Wesleyan University. Brother Hoyer was also a baseball coach at the University before moving to Kenyon College in that capacity.
October 27, 1922
The U.S. Postal Service issued the first postage stamp to honor President Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University). The stamp was issued on the birthday of Brother Roosevelt and was issued in Washington D.C. as well as the home town of Brother Roosevelt, Oyster Bay, New York. The image of Brother Roosevelt was engraved by John Eissler, who modelled his engraving after a photograph taken of Brother Roosevelt in 1907 by the Harris & Ewing firm of Washington D.C.
October 27, 1940
A 10-foot tall bronze statue sitting atop an 8’8” tall granite base depicts Teddy Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) on horseback as both a hunter and explorer. The Teddy Roosevelt statue is on the West staircase leading up to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The famous statue of Brother Roosevelt was restored in 2012 as part of a three-year $40 million restoration of the Museum. Theodore Roosevelt Sr. helped found the Museum and the original Charter creating the Museum was signed in the Roosevelt family home in 1869. The Hall of North American Mammals first open to the public in 1942 with 10 dioramas depicting North America’s natural wonders. As a leader in the American conservation movement, Brother Roosevelt placed nearly 230,000,000 acres under federal protection and set aside five national parks, four game preserves, 51 bird refuges, and 18 national monuments.
October 27, 2012
The lifelong association with the American Museum of Natural History of Theodore Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) is marked by the reopening of the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial within the Museum. A new life-sized bronze statue of the 26th President and 33rd Governor of New York was unveiled during the dedication ceremony. The event launched a year-long celebration of the role of Brother Roosevelt in fostering the American conservation movement.
October 27, 1946
The Canal Zone issued a 2¢ stamp honouring the memory of Teddy Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) for his role in the creation and completion of the Panama Canal.
October 27, 1948
The United States Postal Service issued a 3¢ stamp honoring Teddy Roosevelt (Alpha-Harvard University) and the Rough Riders, which was the name bestowed on the 1st United States Voluntary Cavalry. Brother Roosevelt and the Rough Riders are shown at top of San Juan Hill, which they took on July 1, 1898.
October 27, 1959
At age 25, Howard Brennan Johnson (Phi-Yale University) became the President of the company founded by his father in 1925. By the late 1970s, Howard Johnson’s had became the largest restaurant chain the U.S. with over 1,000 restaurants. Howard Johnson Hotels are now part of Wyndham Worldwide.
October 27, 2010
Derek Sifton (Eta-University of Virginia) announced that a deal had been reached between Toronto Airways Ltd. and Canadian real estate giant, Cadillac Fairview to develop the 170- acres of land which is presently occupied by Buttonville Airport, the largest privately owned airport in Canada. Brother Sifton who is the President of Toronto Airway Ltd. stated that the deal was an opportunity to build one of the largest tracts of undeveloped land in the Greater Toronto area.
October 28, 1960
Maxwell E. Lapham (Delta Kappa-University of Pennsylvania) is appointed as acting President of Tulane University. Brother Lapham had previously served as Provost (1963-1965). With Maurice Friedman, Brother Lapham developed the “rabbit” test for pregnancy and introduced it in 1931. Brother Lapham served as Dean of the School of Medicine at Tulane between 1945 and 1963.
October 28, 1966
Richard W. Couper (Tau-Hamilton College) is appointed as acting President of Hamilton College. Brother Couper served in that capacity until 1968. At Hamilton College, Brother Couper also served as its first Administrative Vice President, as Vice President, and as Provost and Vice President. In 1959, he became a Trustee at Hamilton College where he now serves as a life Trustee with his service being one of the longest in the history of the College. In 1969, Brother Couper became the first Deputy Commissioner of Higher Education of the New York Education Department. He was one of the founding Trustees of the Lincoln Centre Institute and of the New York Council on the Humanities. Brother Couper served as the first full time Chief Executive Officer of the New York Public Library (1971-1981). Brother Couper died on January 25, 2006. In 2006, the Richard W. Couper Press was established in his honor. The Press publishes a quarterly journal of scholarship.
October 28, 1992
Harold A. McInnes (Sigma Tau-M.I.T.) retired as the Chairman and CEO of AMP, Incorporated on reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65. Brother McInnes continues as a Board member and was elected Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board. AMP, with annual revenues of approximately $5.5 billion, designs, manufactures and markets a broad range of electronic, electrical, wireless and electro-optic connection devices. Brother McInnes has served as a Director of the Greater Harrisburg Foundation and the Harrisburg Area YMCA Foundation, as Trustee of The Whitaker Foundation, and as Chairman of the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts. Brother McInnes has received various awards for his work, including the John H. Baum Humanitarian Award (1997), Contact America’s Spirit of Contact Award (1994), Poor Richard Club’s Great American Award (1993), Alexis de Tocqueville Society Humanitarian Award (1990) and the Keystone Area Boy Scout Council Eagle Class Honoree (1994).
October 28, 2008
The Terminal Building at Indianapolis International Airport was named in honor of Harvey Weir Cook (Psi Phi-DePauw University). Brother Cook was an American fighter ace in World War I and received the Distinguished Service Cross. He was a pioneer in civil commercial aviation and a leading figure in the development of aviation in the United States. His Distinguished Service Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster Citation read: “The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Harvey Weir Cook, Captain (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Bois-de-Dole, France, August 1, 1918. Sighting six enemy mono-place planes at an altitude of 3,500 meters, Captain Cook attacked and, despite their numerical superiority, shooting down one and driving off the others.” The second citation read: “The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Harvey Weir Cook, Captain (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Crepion, France, October 30, 1918. Captain Cook attacked three enemy bi-place planes at an altitude of 1,000 meters. After a few minutes of severe fighting, his guns jammed, but after clearing the jam he returned to the attack, shot down one of his adversaries in flames, and forced the other two to retire to their own lines.” Brother Cook was credited with seven victories, including four enemy balloons, and was promoted to Captain in 1919. After World War I, Brother Cook helped to form the U.S. Army’s U.S. Air Mail Service and was one of the first transcontinental airmail pilots. In 1928, Brother Cook resigned his Army commission to become Vice President and General Manager of the Curtis Flying Service of Indiana. Brother Cook was a pioneer in bringing Indianapolis its first principal airport which opened in 1931. Brother Cook became involved in recognizing the contributions of the Wright Brothers to flying. Initially, the Smithsonian did not recognize the flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, in 1903. Due to the dogged determination of Brother Cook, the flight was eventually recognized in 1940. The Indianapolis Airport was opened in 1931 at Brother Cook was the first manager of the airport. In his honor, the Indianapolis Municipal Airport was named Weir Cook Municipal Airport. In 1944, a liberty ship was named H. Weir Cook. In 1976, Weir Cook Municipal Airport was renamed Indianapolis international Airport but, due to an outcry, the newly constructed terminal building of the airport was named after him. Brother Cook died in an airplane collision on March 24, 1943 at age 52.
October 29, 1962
We honor the pioneer advertising agency leader Stanley B. Resor (Phi-Yale University) who died this day at age 83. Brother Resor was the first major advertising agency leader to boast a college degree. With his wife who was considered “the greatest copywriter of her generation”, Brother Resor supervised creative activities for J. Walter Thompson. The founder of the American Association of Advertising Agencies, Brother Resor led the company to number one status by 1927 as the first advertising agency to break $100 million in billings. By 1954, the company had offices across the globe and record-setting billings of $200 million a year. The vacation home of Brother Resor and his wife, Snake River Ranch near Wilson, Wyoming is the largest deeded ranch in the Jackson Hole area and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The legendary architect, Miis van der Rohe, was retained by Brother Resor and his wife to design a home for the ranch and this proved to be the first project in the United States for this architect. At age 17, George H.W. Bush (Phi-Yale University) spent time at the ranch. At Yale, a Professorship of Political Science and a Professorship of Economics is named in Brother Resor’s honor.
October 29, 2011
Coaching the Penn State Nittany Lions to a 10-7 victory over the University of Illinois, Joe Paterno (Upsilon-Brown University) became the all-time NCAA Division career victory holder with his 409th win. After suffering a sore right leg, shoulder and pelvis following an accident at practice in August, Brother Paterno coached from the press box while 62,000 fans watched as Penn State won in order to stay at the top of the division. That victory was one of many victories that has been taken away from Brother Paterno.
October 30, 1846
The granting of a Charter for Sigma Chapter at Amherst College was passed at a special meeting of the Phi Chapter. The seven Charter members of the Chapter applied to Phi and the Charter was granted without hesitation. Louis Ledoux, one of the applicants, went to New Haven on November 14, 1846, to be initiated, and then went back to Amherst with the authorization to initiate the other six applicants The Charter given to the new Chapter was dated November 1, 1846. The first Chapter meeting was held in Room 10, South College, on November 23, 1846 at 10:00 p.m. Regarding the meetings of the Chapter, the following is set out in the 1910 Catalogue of the Fraternity: “Secrecy was distinctly necessary in those days. Alpha Delta and Psi Upsilon seemed intuitively to realize that this was no laughing matter for them. And the ancient doors of a later meeting place are preserved unto this day, bearing upon them honorable scars of seventy years ago, when they guarded our assembled fathers from jealous foes without. Later the meetings were held in North College, until rooms were at length found away from College property, in Hunt’s Block. The incorporation of the Chapter under the laws of Massachusetts occurred in 1864.”
October 30, 1899
West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company is incorporated. One of the cofounders and later the President of the Company was Joseph Kerr Cass (Lambda-Kenyon College). Cass, West Virginia is an unincorporated census-designated place on the Greenbrier River in Pocahontas County, West Virginia, which was founded in 1901 and named after Brother Cass. As of the 2010 Census, the population of Cass was 52. Cass was built as a company town to serve the needs of the men who worked in the nearby mountains cutting spruce and hemlock. At one time, the sawmill at Cass was the largest double-band sawmill in the world, processing 1.25 billion board feet of lumber during its existence. In 1901, work started on a railroad which climbs Back Allegheny Mountain. The Cass Scenic Railroad State Park was established on March 7, 1961. Tourist excursion trains have left from the Cass Depot for the Whittaker Station four miles up the line since 1963.
October 30, 2011
George W. Bush (Phi-Yale University) throws out the first pitch at Game 3 of the 2001 World Series. The pitch was at Yankee Stadium, the home of the New York Yankees owned by Brother George Stenbrenner (Epsilon-Williams College). The Yankees won the game 2‑1 over the Arizona Diamondbacks. The game marked the second return of Brother Bush to New York after the events of 9/11
October 31, 1909
Meade Minnigerode (Phi-Yale University) and George Pomeroy (Phi-Yale University) published “The Whiffenpoof Song”, which is the traditional closing number of the Whiffenpoofs, the a cappella group founded at Yale in 1909. The best known alumnus of the group is probably Cole Porter (Phi-Yale University) who sang in the 1913 lineup of the Whiffenpoofs when he was a student at Yale. The Whiffenpoof Song was later recorded by Rudy Vallee (1927), Bing Crosby (1947), Elvis Presley, Count Basie, Perry Como, and the Statler Brothers. The words:
To the tables down at Mory's,
To the place where Louis dwells,
To the dear old Temple Bar
We love so well
Sing the Whiffenpoofs assembled
With their glasses raised on high
And the magic of their singing casts it's spell
Yes, the magic of their singing
Of the songs we love so well"
Shall I Wasting" and "Mavourneen" and the rest.
We will serenade our Louis
While life and voice shall last,
Then we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest
We're poor little lambs
Who have lost our way,
Baa! Baa! Baa!,
We are little black sheep
Who have gone astray
Baa! Baa! Baa!.
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree
Damned from here to eternity,
Lord, have mercy on such as we,
Baa! Baa! Baa!
October 31, 1946
Charles W. Cole (Sigma-Amherst College) was appointed to replace Stanley King (Sigma-Amherst College) as President of Amherst College. Brother Cole served in that capacity until 1946 and was succeeded as President by Calvin Plimpton (Sigma-Amherst College). It is probably the case that no other Fraternity can claim three college presidents in a row at a college. Brother Cole also served as the U.S. Ambassador to Chile (1961-1964). Brother Cole died on February 6, 1978.
October 31, 1972
Through the generosity of Ellis D. Slater (Omicron-University of Michigan) and his wife Priscilla, the Slater International Center is opened at Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts. The Center was opened “to encourage greater understanding among all cultures through personal association and cooperative endeavors”. The Center provides a gathering place for all students, both foreign and American, who are interested in international understanding. At the same time, the Slater Fellowships were established by Brother Slater and his wife. The Priscilla & Ellis D. Slater Merit Scholarship Awards are awarded annually for residents of Polk Country, North Carolina who are graduating high school students. Brother Slater established Frankfort Distillery Inc., which was eventually purchased by the Seagram Company. Serving on the Board of Seagram, Brother Ellis was responsible for the planning of what led to the famous Seagram Building on Park Avenue in New York.
October 31, 2003
David Wright (Tau Alpha-McGill University) stepped down as the Canadian Ambassador and a permanent representative to the North Atlantic Council which is the senior political governing body of NATO. Brother Wright served as the Dean of the NATO Council (2000-2003). Previously, Brother Wright served as the Minister and Deputy Chief of Mission of the Canadian Embassy in Paris (1987-1990), the Assistance Deputy Minister for Europe in the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa (1990-1994) and the Canadian Ambassador to Spain (1994-1997). Presently, Brother Wright is the Kenneth and Patricia Taylor Distinguished Visiting Professor in Foreign Affairs, Victoria College, the University of Toronto.